Topic: Factory build date

esole    -- 09-09-2012 @ 9:19 AM
  It seems to me that someone offered a service which would identify the exact build date of a vehicle. Does anyone have current information on this? Thanks very much.

supereal    -- 09-09-2012 @ 11:13 AM
  You don't mention the year of your vehicle. Before the advent of the VIN, Fords carried a serial number following the prefix. There are records showing the production (serial) numbers for vehicles that will give you an approximate point in a year's output. This is outlined in the Club's excellent 1941-48 book. It also covers how to read the glass "bugs" that carry a code that refelects an approximate date. All this aside, without a real VIN, there is no "exact" way to get the build date. Even the VIN isn't that specific, as the production usually covered several days.

LtDan43    -- 09-09-2012 @ 8:30 PM
  I have a 1.5 ton truck that is titled as a 1944. I thought there were no civilian trucks until 1946 or was that cars only. The Ford Museum has no info, Oregon State has no info. The chrome grill bars are my addition, but have the original painted ones.
Is it possibly a 1944?

supereal    -- 09-10-2012 @ 6:02 AM
  Provisions were made during the war for necessary uses such as school buses and others. It is possible you have a '44, but they were very rare.

TomO    -- 09-10-2012 @ 7:22 AM
  Some car, trucks and other commercial vehicles were sold during the war with titles dated as the year of the sale.

Most of these vehicles were manufactured in late 41 - Valry 42 and held in reserve to replace worn out or vehicles that were totaled and were considered necessary for the country.

Some trucks were manufactured late in 1944 as 1945 models. Farmers were demanding newer trucks as the pre-war trucks were worn out and unreliable.

Some states titled vehicles as the year they were sold. I had a 1940 Ford Fordor that was titled as a 1939 Ford.

Tom

51f1    -- 09-14-2012 @ 7:09 AM
  On some vehicles, there are numbers stamped into the cowl that will reveal the build date. The format for these numbers varies by plant. Some plants did not use numbers on the cowl, and I don't know if this was used on earlier models. Here is an example from my 1951 F-1:

SR1M23G663: S= Somerville, MA, R= 8 cylinder 239 V-8, 1= (F-1), M = Meadow Green, 23G = July 23, Unit no. = 663. (The unit number is an internal plant assigned number used to keep up with plant production.)

I also found a date on the back of the speedometer that would give an idea as to the build date. If I recall correctly, it was about a month earlier than the cowl date.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=5169