Topic: 38 pick up headlamp/horn wiring

drtung    -- 08-13-2012 @ 1:30 PM
  I am having trouble figuring out my headlamp wiring. I didn't take good enough pictures before disassembly and was wondering if anyone might be able to help shed some light. In the attached picture the relays and attached fuses were originally attached to the fender inner. currently I have power into & out of the units with the column switch on or off. Is this correct? If not what could be the potential issue? Also it looks as though a couple terminals are empty. Any idea what wires & for what might go on those terminals? Can my horn be hooked up to these relays or will I need a separate relay? Thanks in advance for the help.
Not sure if the picture attached or not

ford38v8    -- 08-13-2012 @ 3:52 PM
  Your setup is not original, but should give you brighter headlights than original. From your picture and your text, I assume you've ripped out all the old dangerous wiring and have obtained a new harness?

The purpose of a relay is to provide a heavy gauge wire to feed as much juice as possible directly to a heavy need such as headlights or horn. A relay is mounted as near as practical to where it is needed, and using the original wiring only to control the relay, itself not needing much to activate.

The wires from your horn-light rod should go as follows:

The horn wire goes to the original horn relay.

The high beam goes to its own relay.

The low beam goes to its own relay.

A single heavy gauge wire from the solenoid feeds all three relays, and is always hot.

The horn is fed from the normally open terminal of its relay.

The lights are fed from their normally open terminals also.

Make sure all connections are soldered, and all terminals are clean and protected with dialectric grease. Make sure the bulb sockets are grounded to the frame, don't rely on the socket-reflector-bucket-fender-frame connection. Maske sure the horn is also mounted solidly to ensure proper grounding.

By the way, the relays in the picture are Delco Remy, but they work on Fords too!

Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 8-13-12 @ 4:01 PM

drtung    -- 08-15-2012 @ 8:07 AM
  Thank you Alan. Much appreciated

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=5057