Topic: Generator to Alternator conversion - 1946

oldgrayman    -- 08-08-2012 @ 6:43 AM
  I apologize if this issue has come up before on the forum, but I couldn't find mention of this in the archives. As part of the rebuild of my '46 pickup, I'm thinking about replacing the generator with a 6V alternator from Mac's. Does anyone have experience with this kind of conversion? Are there FAQ or forums I've missed that would explain downsides to this change or other changes will I have to make if I convert to an alternator (such as dropping out the voltage regulator)?

supereal    -- 08-08-2012 @ 10:01 AM
  We have done several,of these, with varying results. The usual one wire types are the least effective. They are reluctant to come on, and require high revving of the engine to get them to work. Part of this is due to the size of the pulley. We have had to make smaller pulleys to help. A better choice is the two wire type. They hook up to the ignition switch to turn on the unit. In any case, you can leave the voltage regulator in place. Connect the alternator output to the battery terminal of the regulator, and disconnect the others from the regulator. Most find that replacing the stock generator with an alternator doesn't improve the system. Modern vehicles spin the alternator very fast, something our slow turning flatheads don't.

CharlieStephens    -- 08-08-2012 @ 12:19 PM
  I would suggest having the generator properly rebuilt. If you go with the alternator please leave the hood closed at shows. Is the alternator better, of course but do you need "better".

Charlie Stephens

Stroker    -- 08-08-2012 @ 4:02 PM
  I'm with Super and Charlie. Alternators simply look "out of place". If you want to be
up-to-date, you should probably consider a hybrid drive train. If you embrace the
idiosyncrasies of ancient Flatheads, then the only "proper" device to supply your
battery is a generator. It is possible to create an original-looking early Ford with
modern components, and that is called a "street-rod". If early Ford generators were a
major problem area, I could understand the need/desire to update. The facts don't support this change.

oldgrayman    -- 08-09-2012 @ 5:51 AM
  Super, Charlie, and Stroker -- Thanks for the input! Just the kind of info I need. Will look into rebuilding the old generator.

CharlieStephens    -- 08-09-2012 @ 9:26 AM
  If you put your general location in your profile (and post) someone might recommend a shop. If you inquire at your local Early Ford V8 Club chapter you might get advice on who to use.

Charlie Stephens

51f1    -- 08-10-2012 @ 2:16 PM
  A properly maintained Ford 6-volt electrical system will work just about as well as anything you could replace it with and it will look right. Make sure everything is up to snuff and keep what you have.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=5035