Topic: 46 Ford Truck restore

stuartbrown    -- 07-06-2012 @ 9:55 PM
  Never try and restore anything if you didn't take it apart. The result is you will need to hit the forums to get help in putting it back together.
Anyone do a 46 or 47? Big question today is rear bumper, how to an who from? If I wanted to bail on the painted grill and trim and go chrome or stainless I think I can find stainless trim but do I need to have the hoodlatch/hood ornament dipped and chrome or does someone have a better idea. I inherited the truck about 80% complete. It would have been better about 50% or less so I could have had the excuse that it would have cost too much and just let it sit for 10 years.
Can't stand it , gotta get it back together. Any ideas on best places for help. Got Drake, Mac and a few others but seem to be missing the magic answer man or place.

This message was edited by stuartbrown on 7-6-12 @ 9:59 PM

TomO    -- 07-07-2012 @ 8:34 AM
  I don't think that the rear bumper brackets and bar were reproduced. Original ones would be hard to find as it was an option, that was seldom ordered and when present easily damaged.

As to chrome and stainless, the 42-47 Ford pickups had very little. The trim was painted from the factory. The 48 had the stainless grille.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 7-7-12 @ 8:36 AM

supereal    -- 07-07-2012 @ 2:15 PM
  You can get grille bar covers from C&G in either chrome or plain steel. I don't know of any 42-47 trucks that had a grille or hood ornament/latch that was plated. Most were painted a cream color unless the paint was special ordered. I can't find rear brackets or bumpers for pickups between 42-48 in my catalogs. Steel was scarce after the war, and even some cars were shipped with temporary wooden bumpers. Pickups were work horses, and if you needed a hitch, the bumpers and mounts were mostly hand made.

jal9846    -- 07-09-2012 @ 3:16 PM
  I'm currently restoring a 46 pickup now, just painted the cab and set it back on the frame. As previously stated, the rear bumper brackets are very rare and hard to find. The bar itself is the same as front, according to the "Green Book", but the bracket is different. I assume you could take a pair of front brackets and modify them to work on the rear if needed. As for the grille area, yes all were painted Tacoma cream from the factory, so you would have to have the hood plate plated if you chose chrome option.

rawlir    -- 08-15-2012 @ 4:19 PM
  I have restored a 46 1/2 to Dearborn and was very lucky to find and install an Original rear bumper correctly. I have seen some convert the front bumper brackets to accomodate the rear bumper but they are not the same. The rear bumper in fact looks a little weird but that may be because you do not see many as they truly were a rare option. If you are not careful the tailgate can drop on the bumper and that is not fun at all!
As to Crome grill etc. original was all steel painted Tacoma Cream, there are some Crome bars made but no one makes steel for paint that I have seen, you probably need to find on EBay or the like some good repairable ones for repair and paint.
I would be happy to communicate with you if you email me at rickr@lakesideind.com. Rick

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4908