Topic: braking questions

bkewin    -- 06-05-2012 @ 10:53 AM
  not sure if this is the right forum. But anyway i'm driving my 53 f100 pretty regularly around town. 97 degrees the last time and no overheating, but I notice its a little hard to start and needs more than the usual 3 taps on the gas.
real question is that some people just don't seem to notice the bright red truck and no matter how defensively I drive, I wind up having to stab the brakes. With these bias ply tires, she lets out the most gawdawfull screaming and caterwauling I ever heard. Normal braking everything is ok, nothing breaks loose or slides, but if I have to lock em up, boy howdy. Sometimes it seems like you just don't have time to pump the breaks.
Would radials help, would disk brakes help or power brakes? I'm thinking the brakes are locking and the tires don't have enough grip to keep rolling. Any ideas?
Thanks folks.

Bill

supereal    -- 06-05-2012 @ 11:08 AM
  Bill: My best guess is that your brake linings are the problem. Disc and power brakes would increase braking, but if the stock system is good, it likely wouldn't be worth the cost. Tires wouldn't cure it either. Hard linings or stuck wheel cylinders could be the cause. Pull all the wheels and examine the linings for wear patterns to see what kind of drum contact you have at each wheel. When asbestos was removed from linings, the compound replacement was often much too hard, affecting stopping distance. As for hot weather fuel problems, today's gas has a very different formula that increases evaporation, particularly when the engine and underhood temps rise. Adding an extra gasket or two between the carb and the manifold can sometimes reduce the problem.

bkewin    -- 06-05-2012 @ 1:43 PM
  I'll go ahead and do that and this time i'll grab someone who knows what they are looking for. thanks.

51f1    -- 07-24-2012 @ 2:25 PM
  I posted a question a couple of months ago regarding brake lining hardness and never got an answer. I still would like to know a source of "softer" brake lining (for a '51 F-1). Surely somebody knows.

Richard

supereal    -- 07-24-2012 @ 7:00 PM
  Try NAPA. We have been using them with good results. Woven linings are intended for mechanical brakes only.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4751