Topic: clutch adjustmt

Fred Hanks    -- 05-26-2012 @ 1:36 PM
  jus installed a new clutch/pres.plate/thro-out bng...
my problem is adjustment,I have the clevis almost all the way out and have no free play..the reason it's out so far is I am trying to stop the" SCRATCH", going into 1st or reverse 2nd & 3rd are fine.
I can get in and depress the clutch put the trans in 1st start the motor and go with no probems.If I stop and put it in netural,engine running then try to but it in gear I get the SCRATCH.
I'd like to back off the clevis to get some free play[11/4 inch] but afraid of a grind.
I have a '49 F1 v8 3 spd. 11" clutch.
any advise ????
Thanx, Fred

carcrazy    -- 05-26-2012 @ 3:59 PM
  Fred, Two questions: do you have a column mounted gear shift lever and what is your idling speed? If the engine is idling too fast the centrifugal weights in the pressure plate may be trying to engage the clutch. If you have a column shift the linkage may not be adjusted correctly.

supereal    -- 05-26-2012 @ 4:35 PM
  If the vehicle has been out of gear and idling, put it in high gear, then move to low or reverse. Most of us old timers do that automatically. Second and high have synchronizers, but low and reverse do not. That allows you to stop the rotation of the transmission parts, which continues even when the clutch is disengaged.

Fred Hanks    -- 05-27-2012 @ 7:14 AM
  The trans is a top loader...
Today I will adjust to the [ 1 1/4" ] free play and try the going into 3rd & then into 1st. Hope is works !!

51f1    -- 06-16-2012 @ 8:44 AM
  I'm not an old-timer. You should be able to shift directly to low almost immediately after depressing the clutch w/o shifting to another gear first. Check the idle speed. If that doesn't fix it, there's something else wrong. Forty-nine models don't have column shift.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 6-16-12 @ 8:45 AM

supereal    -- 06-16-2012 @ 10:50 AM
  Fred: If you have run out of adjustment with a new clutch, there is likely a problem with the release bearing assembly. Perhaps the fork isn't in the proper position on the bearing carrier so it can push on the "ears" of the carrier. That could account for the excessive travel to release the clutch, and your shifting problem. Normally, a new clutch requires setting the clevis backward to compensate for the new clutch lining. Remove the floorboard and the inspection cover and check the release.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4712