Topic: Brake Lining

51f1    -- 05-25-2012 @ 1:27 PM
  I have a restored '51 F-1. The brakes work great, but I feel like I need softer brake lining. Does anyone know where I can get softer lining than that generally sold at the usual old Ford parts suppliers?

I don't expect the old manual drum brakes to stop like modern brakes, but it takes a lot of pedal pressure to stop my truck, and after about 4,500 miles, there is little or no wear evident on the lining. I'd gladly accept a little more wear for easier stops.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 5-26-12 @ 1:08 PM

supereal    -- 05-25-2012 @ 3:00 PM
  Remove all drums and inspect the lining wear pattern. If it doesn't cover the entire surface, either the linings need to be fitted to the drums, or you have one or more stuck wheel cylinder pistons. It is not unusual to find both. It is also possible that one or more rubber brake hoses is plugged. Having a "hard" pedal, but poor stopping is almost always due to one or more of these things. Softer linings is not the cure. Find the underlying problem and you will have good braking with most linings.

51f1    -- 05-26-2012 @ 1:07 PM
  I am very families with the type of brakes on my truck. I've been working on these types of brakes since I was a teenager, which is many years ago. I have inspected them since I restored them, and everything is working like it should. I intend to look at them again.

The brakes work great, but I feel like I need softer brake lining. I have no way to measure the hardness of the brake lining or anything to compare it to if I could. I was hoping that someone that is families with brake lining hardness could help me come up with some softer linings.

If you have ever replaced OEM pads on a modern car with after market "life-time" warranty pads you know what I'm talking about. The replacement pads are made harder in order to last until the vehicle is sold (not for a life-time), but, as a result of the increased hardness, stopping effort increases, somewhat masked by the power assist. The softer OEM pads make stopping effort less. The linings on my truck give every indication that they are very hard.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4708