Topic: 37 Pickup Distributor hole

ColoradoCabin    -- 05-19-2012 @ 4:09 PM
  Putting back together a '37 Pickup...and there is a threaded hole behind the distributor as shown in the picture attached. I have a piece of steel tubing with fittings on each end that I don't know where it goes...can't match the hole behind the distributor with any other hole in the intake manifold...which had the two holes plugged on the intake manifold. Since this was a "jake leg" mess when I purchased it I'm not sure of anything. Any ideas?

supereal    -- 05-19-2012 @ 4:56 PM
  From your photo, it appears you have a '42 crab style distributor. The hole would lead to the timing gear chamber. I've seen these used as a return place for an oil filter. The distributor uses mechanical advance. The stock application received vacuum for the retarder via a port on the timing gear cover. With today's fuel, I'd plug the hole and forget it.

40 Coupe    -- 05-20-2012 @ 3:12 AM
  Hole in the photo is the vacuum port on the timing gear cover. Intake manifold vacuum is piped to this port using small tubing. the vacuum then is routed through the timing gear cover to the back of the distributor where it enters the distributor and acts upon a piston that is under the large steel plug on the top of your distributor which is the 1942-48 style distributor Model 21A. You may want to post a photo or two of the intake manifold, drivers side, for identification of the port for the other end of the vacuum tube or lay the tube out and it should direct you to the proper port, that is if the original intake manifold is still on the car.

ColoradoCabin    -- 05-22-2012 @ 9:03 AM
  Thanks for the info. A friend came over and found the tube went to the back of the carb....duh...I should have discovered the port on the carb but didn't. It fits so I guess that's where it went. The two holes in the intake manifold...one goes to the windshield wiper and the other is plugged..albeit with a smashed piece of tubing...will wonders never cease.

TomO    -- 05-23-2012 @ 7:29 AM
  From your description, it sounds like you may have a 48-53 truck carburetor on your engine. The port on the base of the carburetor is not full engine vacuum and the distributor requires full engine vacuum to operate properly. The front port on the intake manifold would give you full vacuum.

Tom

ColoradoCabin    -- 05-29-2012 @ 6:17 AM
  I will take more pictures today of the carb and engine...thanks.

ken ct.    -- 11-04-2012 @ 10:18 AM
  That port on the reat of the carb will NOT work for dist vacume. ken ct.

supereal    -- 11-04-2012 @ 11:28 AM
  The port on the carb opens at the "butterfly" of the throttle, and is used to operate the later distributor without the mechanical advance. Connect your early distributor to the same place that provides vacuum to the windshield wipers. In the early distributor, the only function of the line is to operate a "snubber" to retard the advance under low intake manifold vacuum to prevent "pinging". With today's fuel, it is seldom needed if the mechanical advance is working properly.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4690