Topic: Over Heating

36ford pick-up    -- 05-09-2012 @ 7:19 AM
  My 36 ford pick-up has a 5 blade fan and has never
over heated until last weekend. I drove it about 35
miles up the Mtn.and it pulled it at 35 mph. in high
gear,BUT at the top of the MTN. it pushed out about
3 pts. of coolant 50/50. On the way back -same thing.
When I got home it took 3 gts. of 50/50. It does have
4:11 gears which I would like to change.
IS OVER HEATING NORMAL?
Karl

51f1    -- 05-11-2012 @ 10:57 AM
  Could have busted the head gasket.

Richard

Stroker    -- 05-11-2012 @ 3:50 PM
  Climbing up steep grades with older vehicles can cause overheating, because they lack auxiliary
fans and high pressure cooling systems.

It's not unusual to have a 30's vintage car overheat under these conditions regardless of make.You don't say how high or steep the "mountain" is, but I have had many similar experiences going up several thousand feet on a warm day in flathead powered trucks and cars. Losing coolant going down, however indicates a serious problem.

If you don't have a serious leak at the water pumps, I'd tend to favor 51f1's head gasket
suggestion. Overheating going downhill is NOT normal. A long climb can overheat any similar vintage engine

Running uphill in high gear at 35 even with 4:11's is also in my opinion, lugging the motor, which can contribute to blowing a head gasket; since the high temperatures coupled with low rpms, can initiate detonation, which may result in a significant pressure spike in the combustion chambers, thereby potentially leading to gasket failure.

supereal    -- 05-11-2012 @ 4:16 PM
  I suspect a change in altitude, coupled with a radiator that is marginal. A lime coating no thicker than a coat of paint can reduce cooling efficiency 40% or more. You may wish to investigate Skip Haney's overflow valve which provides some of the benefits of a pressure system. Each pound of pressure increases the boiling point by about three degrees. Pressure caps, back in the day, were in the 3-7 pound range. My pickup ('06) has a 17 pound cap! Unless you have the classic signs of a blown head gasket or other serious problem, I'd fill it back up and drive it. The next time you go mountain climbing, try running plain water.

36ford pick-up    -- 05-14-2012 @ 7:58 AM
  OK Since the drive to the other side of the mountain
and back I added the 3 qts. of water and a pt of
Water Weter, which is supposed to make it run 20*
cooler. Did a compression test and all cyln.@90 lbs.
and went on a 30 mile road test at normal temp.
I think I will install an overflow and carry extra
water if I go over the Laural Mountains.
Thank-you
Karl

supereal    -- 05-14-2012 @ 12:55 PM
  I've never used "water wetter" such as Purple Ice, but some say it helps. It is a solution to reduce surface tension and produce better contact with the water jacket. If it does help significantly, I suspect either, or both, your radiator or engine water jacket is limed up. The use of antifreeze drops cooling efficiency mesurably, and in a limed engine, will produce coolant loss as heat causes expansion of the coolant enough to force it out of the overflow. Be sure to use "demineralized" water.

36ford pick-up    -- 06-06-2012 @ 1:04 PM
  Problem solved;
I flushed the engine and it was not dirty,and ordered 2 new water pumps from Fryer`s .BINGO. With 5 1/2 new
galons of 50/50 and new pumps temp. droped from 190*
to 160* and Sweet Pea went back up that mtn. and
was 160* at the top totaling 65 mile without a problem.
Happy now.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4647