Topic: 1937 Pickup (Deluxe) WIndshield Frame

jameson5938    -- 05-03-2012 @ 6:58 AM
  I have one of the VERY RARE 37 Ford Pickups with the Deluxe Accessories package. My windwhield frame is chrome on the outside, but appears to be painted over chrome on the inside. I have talked with two other members who have a 37 pickup with the deluxe package and one says his is chrome on inside AND outside and the other says his is painted on the INSIDE only! It appears mine was chrome both inside and outside, but would imagine it was ALL chrome originally - due to the process of chroming!! I am trying to find out how it came from the FACTORY on the inside! Does anyone else have a 37 pickup with the deluxe package that can tell me or does any description in any brochure, pamphlet say anything about the INSIDE? All I have just says "Chrome windshield frame"! I'd appreciate any help in this regard.

James A. Westbrook

trjford8    -- 05-03-2012 @ 7:40 AM
  I can't say for sure on the pickups, but the passenger cars with the chrome frame had the inner frame painted a semi-gloss black.I suspect the inner frame was painted to cut down on the possibility of sun glare in the driver's eyes. Also the inner frame would not have been polished by the chromer, so the paint would cover it up.

wmsteed    -- 05-09-2012 @ 8:43 AM
  The majority of chrome windshield frames, from '35 through '39, that I have ever seen are normal chrome on the outside and a muted version on the inner side. The inner side of the frame was painted a 'satin' black color at the factory.
Of course with the passage of time, many people wanted to doll their cars up so they had the frame chromed.. They very seldom painted the inside because there again they wanted the chrome look..
I would imagine that some people removed the paint from the inner edges to reveal the chrome.. This was common on the radio bezels 'waterfalls', on the '36-37 Fords.
I have attached a pix of an original '36 chrome windshield frame that clearly shows the black paint on the backside.. I have a pair of '37-39 frames, one is chrome, one is painted body color, both have black paint on the inner sides.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 5-9-12 @ 8:51 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4624