Topic: 1937 truck wheel color

bartsnow    -- 04-19-2012 @ 1:38 PM
  I have a 1937 Ford 1 1/2 Ton truck that I'm doing a frame off restoration. I need to know if all the wheels on trucks were painted black? These wheels were white with blue pin strips in centers. I think this was a special order truck. I want to go back with production colors. Thanks for any help, Bart.

Stroker    -- 04-19-2012 @ 4:16 PM
  Gee, I dunno for sure, but our 40 and 41 ton and a half's which the bodywork was painted blue-green and blue respectively, were delivered new with RED wheels! I'd guess that unless you can prove otherwise, black would be appropriate. We also had a used 35 ton and a half which had never been repainted that had black wheels.

Having mindlessly ranted about personal observations from a half century ago, I think it is time
for the National Association to do a "truck book". Perhaps just covering 35-36 pickups wasn't
fiscally responsible, but perhaps covering all trucks just might be.

trjford8    -- 04-19-2012 @ 8:25 PM
  Trucks are a mixed bag of tricks when it comes to colors. Ford had standard colors, but also would paint trucks with "fleet" colors when a company made a large order. The question is whether or not a fleet color is a stock color. Since Ford painted the truck I would say that fleet colors should be considered a stock color, but others may say I am wrong.
Trucks and pickups also were assembled with left over parts, so it's difficult to document what is correct for a certain year truck. This may be the reason that no one has done a book on trucks as information is sketchy on them.

trjford8    -- 04-19-2012 @ 8:27 PM
  Trucks are a mixed bag of tricks when it comes to colors. Ford had standard colors, but also would paint trucks with "fleet" colors when a company made a large order. The question is whether or not a fleet color is a stock color. Since Ford painted the truck I would say that fleet colors should be considered a stock color, but others may say I am wrong.
Trucks and pickups also were assembled with left over parts, so it's difficult to document what is correct for a certain year truck. This may be the reason that no one has done a book on trucks as information is sketchy on them.

alanwoodieman    -- 04-20-2012 @ 5:37 AM
  was this truck a demonstrater? I remember some post about trucks painted yellow with blue trim and being lettered as demonstraters. I would carefully remove the paint from the wheels-a layer at a time and trey to determine what was there first.

flatheadman    -- 04-21-2012 @ 5:23 PM
  My 39 One-Tonner has body color (green) wheels with black snap rings. They are disc wheels with hub caps. I, too would like to see some research on trucks larger than 1/2 ton.

1932BB    -- 04-24-2012 @ 5:57 AM
  "Ford Trucks Since 1905" by James K. Wagner shows that wheels were painted fleet colors as well as black. There is a picture of one truck with 20 inch chrome hubcaps as well as one with artillery wheels. It appears that Ford was offering lots of paint options in 37.

This is an excellent book! Lots of information and factory pictures etc. authored by an EFV8 Advisory Panel Member.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4576