Topic: 1935 Ford Fire Truck

burgchief    -- 03-04-2012 @ 1:26 PM
  I have a 1935 Ford V8 (6 volt) 1 ½ ton fire truck. The engine will occasionally just stop running when it is being driven. The engine has had most all the wiring replaced. The truck did the same thing years ago when owned by a local fire department. They traded it for another truck, and the new owner completed the updated wiring. The truck acts like it is running out of gas, but it has plenty of fuel (an electric fuel pump has been added). After letting the truck sit for several minutes, the truck starts up and runs okay. I’ve had it in a couple of parades and haven’t had any problems at low speed. It happens when I am out on the road running the truck about 35 MPH (top speed). Has anyone else had this problem? Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

bkewin    -- 03-04-2012 @ 1:48 PM
  fuel line routing issues maybe? too close to exhaust? sounds like vapor lock. got any pics? I love those old fire trucks.

alanwoodieman    -- 03-04-2012 @ 2:55 PM
  have you checked to see if you have spark at the plugs, when this occurs? is the coil overheated? did someone bypass the ign resistor?

supereal    -- 03-04-2012 @ 8:26 PM
  When it stops, look down the carb and pump the throttle to see if you get jets of fuel from the accelerator pump. If not, it is likely that you have a fuel problem. Otherwise, it is likely that the coil and/or condenser is poor. Without exception, old coils fail soon after starting the vehicle. They cause jerking, then stalling. If you have an electric pump, I'd bet on the ignition system. This has been a problem for decades, giving rise to the "vapor lock" reputation. Take a jumper wire along, and if the truck stalls, connect the coil directly to the battery. It is likely it will start. This can also indicate that the ignition resistor has a bad connection at one end or the other. Finally, a worn ignition switch can fail, then reconnect when the contacts cool from arcing.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4406