Topic: ordered a rebuild kit for fuel pump

bkewin    -- 03-02-2012 @ 6:03 PM
  I need to rebuild my fuel pump as it leaks pretty badly.
Is there anything special I need to do with the gaskets? Hope this isn't too stupid a question. Its been a few years since I did anything under the hood. I remember using blue and red rtv extensively on the modern stuff. I'm not sure how to finesse this old gal.

Thanks
Bill

supereal    -- 03-02-2012 @ 8:06 PM
  I suggest you replace the pump. Due to the "new" gas, only the body of the pump can be salvaged. Most old pumps have worn levers, which are not usually included in kits. Never use RTV on any fuel related parts. It will be attacked by gas, resulting in problems throughout the system.

bkewin    -- 03-03-2012 @ 4:43 AM
  thanks, I actually ordered a new pump and a rebuild kit.
I hoped to have a spare after rebuilding. this old pump works pretty good but (i haven't measured pressure) but the outside is wet with gas after a short run. Thanks for the advice about the lever. I'd read where that happens and that adding to rod length will make it worse.
Got it. No RTV on gas.
last mechanical pump i replaced was on a mustang.

supereal    -- 03-03-2012 @ 10:41 AM
  A spare is a good move. If the old pump leaks around the vent holes on the lower half of the body, it is likely that the diaphragm has a crack, or has been breached by alcohol in the fuel. If it leaks around the parting seam between the body halves, the case is probably warped or cracked, often by overtightening the screws. Gas has a very low surface tension, and can leak in places water wouldn't. Any gas leak under the hood is an invitation for a disasterous fire. Most of us carry a handy fire extinguisher, as you never know if the fuel system or old wiring may cause an emergency. Plenty of old vehicles were lost that way. Another good precaution is a master battery cutoff switch to use when the car isn't in use.

bkewin    -- 03-03-2012 @ 3:28 PM
  dang, I think its the parting seam leaking. Noted on the fire extinguisher. Will do. Should I mount it in the cab?
I'll look into the battery cut-off as well. Excellant advice, thanks.

Bill

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4396