Topic: torque tube center bearing

mike39    -- 02-26-2012 @ 4:32 PM
  How do i replace the center bearing in the torque tube ? I did find a post that says the grease fitting holds it in ? Is the bearing a common part ?

Thanks, Mike

alanwoodieman    -- 02-26-2012 @ 8:24 PM
  Talk to Skip Haney of water pump and coil fame, I beleive he has come up with a replacement bearing and the tool to install it.

mike39    -- 02-29-2012 @ 5:30 PM
  I dont know Skip. How do I get in touch with him ? I cut open an old junk tube. It looks like that bearing was never meant to be serviced.

trjford8    -- 02-29-2012 @ 6:12 PM
  Skip can be reached at 941-637-6698(daytime) and 941-505-9085 (evenings). He lives in Florida. His e-mail is; skip@fordsrus.com.

alanwoodieman    -- 02-29-2012 @ 6:37 PM
  I also cut one out of a bent torque tube-it is built much like a truck driveshaft center support bearing, roller bearing enclosed in a rubber bushing- in this case driven into a sleeve internal to the torque tube and can be replaced- I will agree a little daunting to say the least!

supereal    -- 03-02-2012 @ 10:29 AM
  I am attaching information and a diagram regarding the replacement of the torque tube center bearing. The original way was to use a KRW tool, shown here. It can be done using a long threaded rod with a disk made to the outer diameter of the bearing assembly. The tricky part is to get the groove in the bearing carrier to match the grease fitting hole, so the fitting can enter the groove on the carrier to hold it in place. The bearing carrier is a rubber ring which is often damaged by years of exposure to the grease and oil in the tube. Unless there is evidence that the bearing has slipped away from the fitting and moved down the driveshaft, or otherwise requires replacement, many decide to avoid replacement.

mike39    -- 03-02-2012 @ 4:30 PM
  Thanks everyone for the information. I understand the puller to remove the bearing assembly but the flange at the rear of the tube has a smaller inside diameter than the tube itself. So how does it come out ? I must be missing something....Also looking at the one I cut out, It looks like it has spot welds holding it ?

I hate to leave one old bearing in there after I replace all the rest.

supereal    -- 03-03-2012 @ 10:44 AM
  The bearing was installed after the tube was made, so it will come out one end or the other. I've never seen a bearing welded in place if it is the correct one with the rubber collar.

mike39    -- 03-03-2012 @ 11:49 AM
  OK, I pushed the bearing out of my junk tube. Came out easy since the rubber was really rotten. So then scr*pe and clean out all the old rubber and grease. Now....Where can I find a replacement bearing with rubber around it ?

supereal    -- 03-03-2012 @ 2:26 PM
  Mike: At one time, Skip Haney was about the only source. See his e-mail address above in Tom J's response. I didn't see them in any other catalogs. They are so rarely replaced, vendors apparently don't stock them.

william    -- 03-05-2012 @ 10:35 AM
  Hi Mike !
I'm not sure where you can get the rubber part to hold the bearing sleeve ? But Mac's Antique Auto Parts shows the bearing and sleeve bearing number B4645 $10.50 Sleeve number B4655 47.65 . I hope this helps ? Mac's 1 800 777 0948 online macsautoparts.com

Bill

supereal    -- 03-05-2012 @ 8:04 PM
  The "sleeve and bearing" mentioned is the roller and sleeve inside the upper end of the torque tube, not the rubber mounted center bearing. The correct number for the center bearing is 4658.

This message was edited by supereal on 3-5-12 @ 8:14 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4377