Topic: Brake Job articles

bkewin    -- 02-14-2012 @ 5:08 PM
  Hi,
If I'm lucky, I'll need to learn how to adjust the brakes on a 53 effie flathead v8. Everything is bone stock, with a 20 year old resto. I've really looked all over the web and haven't found a good article on adjusting the brakes.
I think I know how to take the little slop out of the steering, if there is any adjust left.
I've seen several articles on upgrading which i will do someday, but for now I just need them to grab evenly.
I'm sleeping on it tonight and will go buy it tomorrow.
Thanks
Bill

alanwoodieman    -- 02-14-2012 @ 6:36 PM
  easy to adjust these brakes buy the truck and then come back and ask again

supereal    -- 02-14-2012 @ 7:47 PM
  The brakes are adjusted by removing the rubber plug on the lower edge of the backing plate, then turning the "star wheel" to push the shoes out toward the drum. You can do it with a screwdriver, but the required tool is easier, and not expensive.

51f1    -- 02-15-2012 @ 12:03 AM
  If you buy it, pull the brake drums to see what's inside before you drive it too far. If everything looks OK, replace the brake fluid.

Richard

TomO    -- 02-15-2012 @ 9:13 AM
  Bill,

Slop in the steering is usually due to worn tie rod ends. Check them out before you adjust the steering box.

Pulling with hydraulic brakes can be caused by contamination on the shoes, cracks in the linings, corroded wheel cylinder or deteriorated rubber hose. Start by pulling the wheels and examining the brake components. Next flush the system with fresh brake fluid and finally adjust the brakes. Repair any problems found before proceeding the the next step.

Tom

bkewin    -- 02-15-2012 @ 3:41 PM
  Thanks fellas. I put a down payment on it and pick it up Friday! woo hoo. Thanks for the advice. I'll get her on Jack stands Saturday Morning. Best Regards.
Bill

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4343