Topic: left rear axle leak

36ford pick-up    -- 02-01-2012 @ 9:53 AM
  Discovered rear end oil on the tire and floor
when I pulled it out of the garage.Anything special
I should know about pulling the axle for installing
a new axle seal? 36 ford pick-up 1/2ton with hydrolic brakes.

alanwoodieman    -- 02-01-2012 @ 10:13 AM
  it can be a long job. I am assuming you have an original rear axle? There is a seal to prevent rear axle lub from getting to the hub assembly. If you pull the hub off with the proper puller you will find the hub seal/roller bearing which should have grease, not rear axle lube. If it is leaking doping you must completely dissasemble the the rear axle to get to the seals. Of course it could also mean that the rear axle has way too much doping in it.

supereal    -- 02-01-2012 @ 10:35 AM
  If you are getting oil from the rear end into the brake drum, two things are usually at fault. Either you have overfilled the rear axle, or neglected to drain the excess that forms from transmission leakage down the torque tube. It is also possible that the hub bearing oil seal was installed backward with the lip facing outward instaed of toward the roller bearing. Replacing the axle shaft seals inside the two halves of the rear end is a big job, and seldom worth the effort. When checking the rear end oil, it should be allowed to drain the excess until it stops.

36ford pick-up    -- 02-01-2012 @ 11:41 AM
  The truck was supposed to have been restored about
12 years ago! I just purchased it last Aug.,BUT
I did not check the rear end to see if it was over filled,but it is easier to check than doing a major repair.In my condition I would have to pay someone
for doing the repair.I did remove the hub for a look
and took a few pictures.
Thanks for all the info.

36ford pick-up    -- 02-01-2012 @ 1:11 PM
  Well-just checked rear end and it is not over filled.
It is 1/16 below the hole. Wondering if it is the right
oil or I should try to remove 3-4 tablespoons with
suction gun. Maybe gets to thin running 45 mph for
30 -40 min or so. Just a thought.It is the original
housing.

This message was edited by 36ford pick-up on 2-1-12 @ 1:13 PM

alanwoodieman    -- 02-01-2012 @ 1:23 PM
  just below the hole is correct, should not run out at anytime, was the truck stored with the left side below the right side, even a flat tire? show us pictures of the hub, grease seal and axle stub

supereal    -- 02-01-2012 @ 3:22 PM
  Is it gear oil or bearing grease? If the bearings were packed with anything other than the fiber type " heavy duty drum brake grease "' it can liquify and get past the hub seals . I suspect that because you have found the oil level in the rear end to be correct.

36ford pick-up    -- 02-01-2012 @ 6:07 PM
  supereal
I think you are right with fibered bearing grease.
Will clean repack and keep an eye on it.Will try again
to send pictures. NO flat tire or stored leaning.

This message was edited by 36ford pick-up on 2-2-12 @ 8:58 AM

36ford pick-up    -- 02-01-2012 @ 6:17 PM
  another pic.

36ford pick-up    -- 02-01-2012 @ 6:20 PM
  and try 1 more

36ford pick-up    -- 02-01-2012 @ 6:26 PM
  MY BABY

alanwoodieman    -- 02-03-2012 @ 5:30 AM
  nice looking truck!! by any chance is there a grease fitting on the axle behind the backing plate? if so someone could have overfilled the bearing with grease and made it run out.

36ford pick-up    -- 02-03-2012 @ 5:51 AM
  I did not see any grease fitting.
It does look they may have used a grease that got
thin from heat. I will try the fibered grease to repack
bearing and a new seal. Thank-you

TomO    -- 02-03-2012 @ 9:22 AM
  Napa has Sta Lube SL3131, which is the lube a lot of us use.

Tom

supereal    -- 02-03-2012 @ 11:04 AM
  Some early Fords had grease fittings on the rear backing plates. These were a carryover from the Model A&T days, and shouldn't be used. They disappeared on later vehicles. Ford was reluctant to make changes, so some features were later abandoned, probably when the parts ran out. These included the well meaning, but mostly ineffective, anti clutch chatter rods.

36ford pick-up    -- 02-04-2012 @ 8:10 AM
  Hydrolic brakes were installed so I assume the
backing plates are from 1937 or newer because
of the wheel cyl.-NO grease fittings.
Thank-you

supereal    -- 02-04-2012 @ 8:34 AM
  Your brakes would have to 1939 or later, as that was the first year for hydraulics for Ford. Any vehicles that have more than three or four years between brake fluid replacement are overdue, regardless of whether they have been "restored" or not. Brakes are usually the most neglected part of an old car or truck.

36ford pick-up    -- 02-10-2012 @ 1:19 PM
  After being told surgery on Feb. 21 (torn bicept & rotorcuff) I had to find the problem. First there are grease fittings which I will not use and the problem
is the wheel cylinder-which was never changed when
brakes were relined. New cyl. on right rear but
the left looks like gunk. Be carefull what you buy!
I think I will do a complete brake replacement and
repack bearings and flushing the system. Just thought
I would share this. Have a great Day.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4290