Topic: '37 Ford Pickup Horn

ColoradoCabin    -- 01-13-2012 @ 6:37 AM
  I recently purchased a '37 pickup with an earlier restoration. The steering wheel is a "banjo"..not sure if it's original or a repro. There is no horn button or mechanism on the wheel. Some parts came with the pickup..a horn button and wire with contact.
Since it wasn't put on I suspect it isn't the correct button or contact. I can't figure out how it fits either. Anyone know where I can get the correct parts or suggestions on how to proceed? Not even sure the column is a '37...but looks correct. How can I tell? Thanks...

ColoradoCabin    -- 01-16-2012 @ 3:27 PM
  Dummy me...after looking at the bottom of the steering column I noticed it probably is the original since it is open on the bottom of the steering box. I assume that is where the original light and horn wires were like on the '31 Model A I had. So...do you plug that hole with something?...what?...geesh there is so much to learn about "modernizing" the old ones.

nelsb01    -- 01-17-2012 @ 9:10 AM
  The horn and lights are controled from the center of the steering wheel. There should be a button with a V-8 on it in the center of a circle that has 2 raised fins. You move these fins (left or right) to control the lights. Now, if you are missing the center of the steering wheel, then you are also missing the long rod that connects to this button and goes down the center of the steering shaft. This long rod, when turned by the center circle with the fins, moves the mechanism in the wiring bail, that it sounds like you have found at the end of the steering sector. If you are missing the wiring bail, then your vehicle either has no lights, or has been re-wired to bypass this original feature.
I may not have used all the right terms here, but hopefully you can now see what you are looking for.

36ford pick-up    -- 01-17-2012 @ 3:28 PM
  Sounds to me the same problem I have with my 36 ford pick-up. I was told there was a 37 banjo steering wheel
put on for easy steering,BUT when I turn the wheel the fins do not move with the steering and the lights flash as it passes the contacts ANYWAY if I turn lights on they will go off when I turn the wheel.
I think when I get to it I bought a pull light switch
I am going to install. I already installed a horn button on the side of the steering colume.

Karl Goblinger

Stroker    -- 01-17-2012 @ 4:30 PM
  Colorado:

I don't believe any of the trucks used the "banjo" wheel, even with the deluxe trim packages.
I like banjo wheels, but I don't believe they are any better than the standard two-spoke hard rubber wheels that were used on commercial vehicles, and standard non-commercial vehicles of the period. In fact, they are actually kind of fragile. The multiple holes in the pot metal
(zinc alloy) hub tend to create localized stress points, and we have seen some failures in
this area.

Stroker    -- 01-17-2012 @ 4:35 PM
  36 Ford Pickup:

The "fins" shouldn't move with the wheel, as they are attached to the switch at the bottom of the column. It sounds like you need to disassemble your column from top to bottom switch, and consult a good assembly drawing from the Green Book.

36ford pick-up    -- 01-17-2012 @ 4:40 PM
  Thank you. I will check it out.

Karl Goblinger

ColoradoCabin    -- 01-17-2012 @ 6:59 PM
  The wiring has been completely redone on the '37 Ford Pickup. There is a light switch in the dash and I am wiring the horn to a push button on the column as suggested. Guess I will find something to cover the horn button recess in the steering wheel. Is there a horn button assembly that would work there?...that is held on with the steering wheel nut?
Thanks for all the advice.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4213