Topic: 1937 Ford Pickup seat belts.

ColoradoCabin    -- 01-11-2012 @ 6:49 AM
  Recently purchased a 1937 Ford Pickup and would like to install some lap belts. Any ideas, measurements, fastening methods, etc. would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

nelsb01    -- 01-11-2012 @ 9:01 AM
  I would suggest that you attach them behind the seat frame base. If you take out your seat, you will see there is space between the seat frame base, and the back of the cab. You will also notice that just to the back of the seat frame base there is a lapping of metal. Where those two pieces of metal overlap would be a strong area for the seat belt bolt. Also, purchase a seat belt package with the biggest and thickest washers you can. This will add extra strength to the mounting.

ColoradoCabin    -- 01-11-2012 @ 1:58 PM
  Thanks for the info about the seat belt attachment. Thought I would start with the driver side and see how it goes before putting in the other side.
Working on trying to get the windshield to fit right at present. Not sure if whomever replaced it got it to big but it doesn't close just right. Going to adjust the hinges and see if it fits better. Finding out that whomever "restored" it cut a lot of corners and left out a lot of screws and bolts....but it's a good project.

trjford8    -- 01-12-2012 @ 7:27 PM
  Loosen all the screws that attach the frame to the upper hinges and the screws that attach the hinges to the body. Take off the screws that attach the frame to the crank out mechanism. Use a piece of cardboard and put it on the bottom of the windshield opening in the cab. Now push the windshield frame into the opening. You should have clearance all the way around the frame. Now begin to tighten the screws that hold the hinges to the cab and hold the frame to the hinges. The most likely cause of the windshield not closing correctly is the lack of clearance at the bottom of the opening.The cardboard should help with that problem.

ColoradoCabin    -- 01-15-2012 @ 7:58 AM
  Thanks for the info on the windshield. I am almost ready now to put it back in. Took all the parts, hinges, etc. and cleaned/primered them. Found the lip around the windshield opening was bent out, I think, to far and corrected that. There were no screws holding the dash cover to that lip..replaced them. Put the windshield in the opening and it looks like the ends don't completely close the opening. Could the frame be to flat? Can you form the frame to fit the opening? Looks like new glass in the frame. Afraid to try and form the frame for fear of busting the glass.

ColoradoCabin    -- 01-17-2012 @ 7:05 PM
  I took everything loose...put the windshield into the opening...shimmed the bottom as suggested...tightened everything and it still doesn't fit right. Think the next trip is to Binswanger Glass Co. and let them re-cut the glass and re-mount the window..I'm very frustrated with the whole mess.

supereal    -- 01-19-2012 @ 5:36 AM
  Too often, a windshield that doesn't fit is the result of incorrect glass, either too thick or too big for the frame, or using the wrong packing. Forcing the glass into the frame usually results in distortion and/or damage, such as deformed screw holes. Early glass is often quite different than modern, and most glass shops of today are not equipped with the necessary experience to refit the windshield. Very small differences from the original prevent proper fit. Be sure your glass shop really knows what they are doing,

ColoradoCabin    -- 01-20-2012 @ 6:17 AM
  Thanks for the info. I will, most likely, take the pickup to a reputable glass shop and have them fit the windshield...which will probably mean putting new glass in the frame. I don't see any other option if I intend to have the windshield crank in and out as it should. Finding out the supposedly "restoration" wasn't so professional....and I wasn't so observant.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4204