Topic: 1946 Pickup Handles / Dash Surround Color

jal9846    -- 12-31-2011 @ 3:28 PM
  Wondering when Ford switched from the speedometer surround, inner handles, outer handles, and window cranks from chrome to painted creme color? I have seen 1942 and 1946 trucks with these parts as chrome...and have also seen some with all of these parts painted creme color. I am needing to know which is correct combination for a 1946 1/2 ton pickup.

Thanks

supereal    -- 01-01-2012 @ 7:54 AM
  Ford used stainless steel for most trim, rather than chrome plating. It was a good choice, as vehicles that have sat in salvage yards for years often have usable trim pieces. 1946 was a transition year when production resumed after the war. It is not unusual to find odd trim combinations, some carryovers from 1942. Trucks, in particular, were subject to this situation, as they were produced for the military during the war when car production ceased, and demand called for high production to fill domestic need for replacements of worn out trucks that were patched up until there was little left of them. If stainless wasn't available, trim was simply painted.

TomO    -- 01-04-2012 @ 8:26 AM
  I suggest that you ask John McDonald for his advice on this.

The Body Parts catalog shows both the painted and bright metal outer handles available as replacement parts in June 1946. If you want the exact date of the change over, I would contact the Ford Archives in Dearborn.

Tom

santagary    -- 01-23-2012 @ 8:25 AM
  my 1946 1/2 ton has stainless esteuchons on door handle and window wind....BUT how do you remove them for access to the window mechanism?

supereal    -- 01-23-2012 @ 2:19 PM
  The part behind the handle is spring loaded. You push it inward to reveal a pin in the handle. Using a pointed tool, drive the pin out, and the handle will come off the shaft. Reinstall by reversing.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4172