Topic: leaf springs

ststiltn    -- 12-04-2011 @ 4:01 PM
  Dont want to turn this into a social forum but we just spent 2 days trying to put left springs on our 50 F1 and still are not finished. Tell me it gets better or what we did wrong. The drivers side is okay but we cant seem to get the other side right. U bolts do not line up even though we have the spring in place. The stud (?) that fits into the slot on the axle just will not go in place allowing the U bolts to fit. The front and back bolts are in but the U bolts do not align. I am thinking of a sledge hammer but I belive the only thing that could happen is the back shackle bolt will bend. Thanks for reading and any help is appreciated.]

Steve

supereal    -- 12-04-2011 @ 4:30 PM
  Did you measure the springs with the right side to confirm they were identical from the center tie bolt to the shackle eyes ? Are you replacing only one side?

ststiltn    -- 12-04-2011 @ 6:03 PM
  We are not that smart. We ordered both from Macs Auto parts and they appeared to be the same. We replaced both of the front springs and have the back springs but are afraid to start that project. Thanks for the reply

Steve

trjford8    -- 12-04-2011 @ 6:54 PM
  I suspect that the spring center bolts of those springs may be offset. Double check with a tape measure to make sure. If they are offset you probably have one in backwards.

alanwoodieman    -- 12-04-2011 @ 7:10 PM
  take a measurement from the center bolt to each end of the spring pack, use the spring shackle stud- you should find that they are not the same-check to make sure you have the "long" end of the spring facing to the rear of the axle-I suspect that you have one of the springs reversed and should be able to determine this from the old springs you took out

ststiltn    -- 12-05-2011 @ 5:03 PM
  Thanks for all the advice. After reading the replys and taking another look it turned out that the spring was not quite level on the axle. We tapped it easy and it fell into place. Thanks again

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4064