Topic: Door hinges

ststiltn    -- 11-23-2011 @ 3:22 PM
  I hope this is not a double post and a stupid question. I am trying to remove the hinge pin on the upper passenger side door to add a mirror with no luck. I have noticed in the parts catalog they sell and door pin remover for $25.00. Is this the only way?
Thanks

Steve

alanwoodieman    -- 11-23-2011 @ 3:35 PM
  they can be a b-tch no mater what you have for a puller/press. Depending on the door, you can use a long drill bit to drill down thru the pin, being careful to stay straight. I have cut the head off with a hacksaw drilled a short way and driven the pin down-seems easier that driving it up. I had one of those and ruined it on a particularly badly rusted pin

ststiltn    -- 11-23-2011 @ 3:58 PM
  Thanks
I was hoping it was not going to be that difficult but it seems it is.

Steve

supereal    -- 11-23-2011 @ 7:48 PM
  I agree that pulling hinge pins can be really tough. The pins are knurled to hold them in place, and this promotes rust that locks the pin. The C clamp tools sold for the purpose are seldom helpful. The position of the pin makes drilling difficult, and usually ends up enlarging the hole, requiring an oversize hinge pin. Try supporting the outer edge of the door to take tension off the pin, and help release the usual wear that also locks the pin in place. I use an air hammer with a pointed end, which will often shake the pin loose. In any case, be sure to protect the area around the hinge to prevent paint damage.

51f1    -- 11-25-2011 @ 5:46 AM
  The hinge pin remover that I bought would not work on the upper pin of my '51 F-1 due to the contour of the door skin. It's very hard to remove the pins if you are trying not to damage the paint. I finally drilled the pin out. I also found out the the pin that came with the mirror was too large and I ended up grinding off some of the diameter.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4013