Topic: 1950 ford f1

ststiltn    -- 11-20-2011 @ 4:16 PM
  Hello to all and thanks for allowing us to join the Club. My 18 year old saw this truck and sold his nearly new Hyndai to purchase it. It is in fairly good shape and looks great. We are brand new to this so we will ask for alot of your help. We are working on all the safety issues to make it safe for him to drive. While underneath I notice a small spin on type filter that is near the engine and transmission on the left hand side. It looks like an oil filter but is about half size. Can you help me figure out just what it is.
Thanks so much for your help.
Also we met a gentleman at a show in Bluffton SC last weekend with a beautiful 50 F1 who told us about this site. Thanks much and for all the info and stay in touch.

Steve

alanwoodieman    -- 11-21-2011 @ 6:18 AM
  Is the truck original? sounds like it could be a fuel filter that somebody added ? gas line runs up the left side (DS) of the frame of the truck- could be a oil filter but doubt anyone has put the full flow oil system on the engine. post some pictures if you can. If you can't, can you send me some pictures and We/I will try to help alan48@charter.net

ststiltn    -- 11-22-2011 @ 3:46 AM
  Thanks, it is acually on the passenger side. I am in trucking and we always refer to that as the left side. I will take some photo over the holidays.

ststiltn    -- 11-22-2011 @ 3:46 AM
  Thanks, it is acually on the passenger side. I am in trucking and we always refer to that as the left side. I will take some photo over the holidays.

51f1    -- 11-22-2011 @ 1:56 PM
  There are no screw-on filters on an original 1950 F-1 truck. Where do you live? I am in Savannah and could take a look at what you have. I completely restored a 1951 F-1.

Richard

Stroker    -- 11-22-2011 @ 3:34 PM
  While there may be no canister type screw-on filters on a bone stock 1950 F1, we had some Ford
industrial engines on agricultural wind machines of the same vintage that used a Motorcraft "Rotunda" spin-on fuel filter and housing that closely resembled a small remote oil filter. I'd guess the key is to follow the piping to and from the filter and see where it leads.

In later years, I've used Fram HPG-1 spin-on stand-alone fuel filters, in racing applications because of their high-volume (90 gallons/hour) flow capacity, and easy to mount frame/firewall
mounting bracket.

ststiltn    -- 11-22-2011 @ 3:59 PM
  Thanks Richard:
We are rebuilding the front end this weekend. As soon as we finish up I will let you know and let you take a look. We live in Bluffton SC off of 170 behind Sun City. Thanks for the reply. It's good to know there is help and information close by.
Steve

51f1    -- 11-26-2011 @ 10:40 AM
  Steve:

I'll drive my '51 when I come.

Richard

Richard

PeterFord    -- 11-28-2011 @ 7:32 AM
  Steve:

I am the person you met at the Bluffton show. Email me at Pendeloque@gmail.com and I would be very happy to come look at your truck and let you inspect mine.

Peter

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=3998