Topic: Truck Models Question

jameson5938    -- 11-01-2011 @ 1:35 AM
  I didn't realize Ford made so MANY Commercial Car and Truck models in 1937!!!! Can someone please explain to me what is the difference between the model 810 (Closed cab standard or closed cab De Luxe) and the 830 (Pickup)??? Is there any place that shows PICTURES of each? How do I know if I have a 77-810 or 77-830?
Thanks!!!

James A. Westbrook

TomO    -- 11-01-2011 @ 7:34 AM
  The pickup is considered a 1/2 ton commercial vehicle and the truck is a 3/4 ton or larger vehicle. I am not sure if Ford made a 3/4 ton truck in 1937. If they did not then the 1 ton would be the smallest model 810.

The sales literature for 1937 commercial vehicles would give pictures of some of the models.

Tom

1932BB    -- 11-01-2011 @ 7:47 AM
  Get the FORD TRUCKS SINCE 1905 book by James K. Wagner. It is very informative and fun to read, with many pictures.

trjford8    -- 11-01-2011 @ 7:49 AM
  Jim, I looked in the book titled "The Early Ford V-8 as Henry Built It" by Francis and De Angelis. On page 207 it has a short article on pickups and talks about the standard and deluxe pickups. It describes the differences between the two. It does show the model numbers of 77-810 and 77-830. It notes those with the pickup box as 77-830. This leads me to believe that the 810 models were just the cab and chassis.

jameson5938    -- 11-02-2011 @ 1:37 AM
  I will continue to look through the books I have as well as talk with knowledgeable folks regarding the model 77-810. The reason I am asking is: I have a copy of BULLETIN No. 124/July 1, 1937 which is the MANUAL OF INSTALLATION of a Philco Auto Radio for 1937 FORD TRUCKS, Model 810!!! As with many accessories and parts, I get conflicting information! I prefer to know what the CORRECT parts are for my "Pickup" although I do not know if I will ever SHOW it or not! I MAY, but even if I do not - I want it as CORRECT as I possibly can get it! It is MY opinion that it was VERY RARE to have a radio IN a truck - PERIOD! That said, mine had one at one time and I want to replace it with the RIGHT radio! I have been told that the 37 Commercial/truck used the 36 radio. I have been told it took the 37 radio. This "Bulletin" clearly shows the part (radio) as being Part No. 77-18805. The MANUAL OF INSTALLATION for the 37 Ford CARS is showing Part No. 78-18805A as the radio. Are these two different radios or just a different number? I do not have a part number for the 36 radio. Can someone tell me what it is? Let's go from here!!!

James A. Westbrook

jameson5938    -- 11-02-2011 @ 1:54 AM
  I have the Ford Trucks Since 1905 book and it definitely shows a LOT of trucks! On page 165 on the lower left side, it talks about the 77-810. It says that "The 1937 Ford Truck and Commercial Car cab was officially considered a new body type, being designated 77-810". Does this mean that this is a BASE number for all the trucks in this catagory? Would ALL "Pickups" be under this main number - Open cab, closed cab, flatbed, stake, etc.??? This is what it LOOKS LIKE to me, but I am NOT an expert. Would love to hear from the guys with a LOT more experience than I have!!!

James A. Westbrook

TomO    -- 11-04-2011 @ 8:35 AM
  James,

You want some very specific information about the radio. The best place to get this is from the Ford Archives in the Henry Ford library.

Here is a link to their website.

http://www.hfmgv.org/exhibits/collections/Collections/library.asp

Most if us have books that were written about the cars and trucks as well as some of the parts catalogs for them. This kind of information does not give the answers that you are seeking. The Archives have engineering drawings and sales literature from the period. If they do not have the information that you need, the next place would be the Detroit Public Library where they have most of the sales literature from the period.

Tom

Lincoln    -- 11-05-2011 @ 2:03 PM
  On the "what model is it" question, the 1937 Chassis Parts List specifies three different body types; the 77/79-810-A; the 77/79-810-B; and the 77-830. The 810 bodies are described simply as "Closed cab", with the "A" series being the "Standard", and the "B" series as the "Deluxe". Both had the 85 HP engine. The "77" was the Commercial designation, while "79" was the Truck version. I believe they listed the "810" bodies in this manner to simplify the ordering process when ordering new units, as the only difference between the two - other then price - was that the "B" had the Deluxe package of accessories, while the "A" did not. The 77-830 body was called the Pickup.
But what was the "real" differences between the 810 and 830 bodies? Well the only clue as to how they varied lies in a late 1936 "Sales Policy" as contained in a Branch Sales Letter. The letter did not specifically refer to "Body Types", but referenced them by description and price. The first was described as a "Chassis with Driveaway Front End" for $370.00 list. The second was "Chassis with Cab" for $460.00 list. And the third as "Pickup" for $480.00 list. At this point I have every reason to believe that body type 830 was indeed the Pickup - a ready to drive vehicle compete with cab, rear box, etc. As to the others (in this case the "810" series), for $20.00 extra you could convert the "driveaway" chassis to one with a cab. For $20.00 you got a: cowl, dash with instruments, dispatch box, windshield stanchions and header, windshield, and windshield wiper. Each body type had their own Accessory Group available as an option. Probably the "810" bodies were sold to those planning on adding customized or special bodies.
As already mentioned, some of the 1937 Commercial/Truck sales literature may show the various body types offered.
On the radio question, refer to my 5/25/2011 comments on your previous post on this forum. You might find a photo at the Ford Archives showing the 1937 Pickup with a radio (and maybe an antenna), but you have to know where to look. I have one showing the 1936 with radio, but the 1937 would be different. If you have an early Pickup, it may have used the 1936 style radio. The later 37's may have differed. On page 65 of Mack Hils' book "Ford Pickups 1932-1952", it shows the round type 1936 radio controls in a 1937 from an Archives photo.
Hope this helps.
Lincoln.

jameson5938    -- 11-07-2011 @ 5:50 PM
  Thanks Lincoln for all this info.!!! It certainly helps me, but still not sure what radio was in MY pickup - except for the hole in the dash that appears to be for the 37 radio! Guess there COULD HAVE been a conversion kit and a 36 radio installed, but have NO IDEA who would know FOR SURE! I will check out the archives to see if I can find anything further! It appears to ME that they didn't make very many of these DELUXE versions of the 37 commercial car/truck/pickup to start with, so I can only imagine how many are STILL around and in reasonably original condition!!! And out of all those make, I be willing to bet that a VERY FEW received a radio at all! I just happen to have one that did and am going to end up putting in what I BELIEVE was in the ole girl to start with! Thanks to EVERYONE who responded!!!
James

James A. Westbrook

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=3918