Topic: Universal Joint Grease 1939 Ford Truck

39Fordfred    -- 10-16-2011 @ 11:31 PM
  Hello
I am a proud owner of a stock 1939 Ford V8 ½ ton pick up truck and I am determined to keep this truck as original as possible. I am in the process of working through the truck from top to bottom making sure everything is mechanically working correctly. I have run in to one issue I cannot find an answer for and was hoping someone could help. The ford reference book for my truck mentions in the Lubrication and Maintenance chart to use “Cylinder Oil Soda Soap Grease” for the Universal Joint. I have called the local vintage parts houses and no one seems to know what this type of grease is or what to use as a substitute. Could someone recommend what to use in place of this product?

Thank you

alanwoodieman    -- 10-17-2011 @ 6:47 AM
  it is a low melt grease that flows when it is warm. If it did not flow in the universal joint it would not lube the joint-the joint would carve a tunnel in the grease. I use a mixture of sythetic grease and sythetic doping (85W90 wt) blend to the consistency of mustard and pump into the fitting with a grease gun using the paper tube you got the grease out of. The leftovers are in the clean coffee can you mixed them in with a lid on them to keep it clean. I pump a tube full into the joint using a air pump grease gun to make it a little easier

supereal    -- 10-17-2011 @ 9:46 AM
  I use Mystik JT-6. It is a sticky, waterproof grease that resists emulsification from the usual flow of transmission oil from the rear of the gearbox. It tends to reduce the usual leakage from the u-joint cover, as well. Refilling the u-joint housing is often neglected due to difficulty in reaching the grease fitting, particularly with the later rear mount. We put an extension on the fitting to make the job easier. If you haven't refilled the housing for a long time, it will probably take more than one tube of grease.

39Fordfred    -- 10-18-2011 @ 1:06 PM
  Thank you Alan and Supereal. Very helpful and I will look a both as a solution.
Have either of you heard of "Corn head grease" from John Deere? One of the local repair shops recommended it as an alternative.

Thank you for your help

Stroker    -- 10-18-2011 @ 2:48 PM
  John Deere corn head grease is what I use in my steering box. It is thixotropic; that is, it is semi-solid until it gets into small "working" spaces, where it liquefies. I don't know why it wouldn't work well in a Ford torque-tube style enclosed u-joint, but I haven't tried it there (yet).

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=3854