Topic: 1945 Trucks

curts41    -- 08-23-2011 @ 3:03 PM
  How many offical 1945 ford trucks were built. Not 46 but 45's

supereal    -- 08-23-2011 @ 7:04 PM
  It would help to know what you consider"official". Trucks and cars built from mid 1942 thru late 1946 were embargoed from open sale to the public. Exceptions were made for emergency vehicles such as ambulances, fire trucks, and school buses, which required governmental permission. I've never seen production figures for the period, but it may exist in government records. I'd be really surprised if they could be accessed. Some vehicles were sold as "military surplus" after the war, accounting for those seen today, I hope you will share any info you uncover.

alanwoodieman    -- 08-24-2011 @ 5:34 AM
  According to Wagner's book on Ford trucks, there was a total of 122,473 trucks built in US, which included everything from jeeps to 3 ton trucks, military and civilian. 43,012 in Canada, 26,577 offshore including some in France. All civiliam trucks were painted Village Green with tacoma cream grill,lamp bezels,door handles only. Remember the War Resources Board "confiscated" all stocks of cars, trucks, etc in early 42 from the mfgs. and dealers and allotted them out as needed. Military trucks had ventilated windshields and top mounted wipers.

Stroker    -- 08-25-2011 @ 4:19 PM
  Alan:

Shortly after WWII,(1946) dad acquired some additional acreage to plant lemon trees on. We needed a bigger dump truck to haul rocks with, as our 29 Ford gravity dump was worn out, and of very limited tonnage capacity.

He found a well-used, but usable 44 Ford dump truck at a local equipment auction. This truck had been used by one of the contractors that built Henry Kaiser's hastily-constructed steel mill in Fontana, California, which in turn didn't get finished quite soon enough to contribute steel to the West coast shipbuilding industry before the war ended.

In your response to curts41, you state that all war-time civilian Ford trucks were painted Village Green. This truck was painted red, and having worked on it a lot in my youth, I believe it was the original color, as the under hood colors were red, and
I never saw any evidence of green. It did have all trim, grille, door handles etc.
painted Tacoma Cream however. I can't tell you about the front bumper though, as it had been replaced with a section of angle iron long before we purchased it.

It was a tough old bird, with a Gar-Wood hoist, and a floor-shifted Eaton 2-speed axle. We pretty well finished it off hauling 100's of tons of rock from 46 to 51.

alanwoodieman    -- 08-26-2011 @ 4:22 PM
  "ALL" the references were pertaining to the year 1945, Your "44" could have been an embargoed 42 for that matter, first titled in 1944.

Stroker    -- 08-26-2011 @ 6:39 PM
  Alan: That's quite possible, as I never viewed the title. Since this truck seldom left our property, we didn't license it. Actually, several of our trucks weren't licensed, as we didn't use them on public roads, and of course since farm vehicles were considered exempt, (such as tractors, and trailers), it wasn't a big deal.

We had a nice 40, that we used to haul fruit to the packing houses, and it had nice chrome trim, front bumper etc. The 4-? dump was pretty basic.

alanwoodieman    -- 08-27-2011 @ 5:58 AM
  Dan,my Grandfather was a textile machinery engineer during WW2 and he was issued an auto, Pontiac I think, I remember him talking about the painted over chrome and ss (black out) and also the 4 door panels inside were all different materials, colors and patterns-boy would I like to have that auto today-would drive the finiky restorers nuts!

TomO    -- 09-10-2011 @ 8:58 AM
  Both GM and Ford were able to sell trucks in the summer of 1945, but the cars were not available until the late fall due to OPA price controls. I have not been able to find any production numbers on the 45's.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=3651