Topic: '34 BB truck

tbcoons    -- 08-18-2011 @ 10:49 AM
  I am looking for some parts: BB-1109(rear axle stud), B-3712 (Ign. switch case), BB-3581 & 3582(steering box gaskets). I have called C&G, Little Dearborn, Baxter's Ford, Obsolete Ford, Dennis Carpenter, Gas Light Auto, Dick Spadaro, Phil Jarrett, Joblot, Snyders, Macs, Bob Drake. Any help would be appreciated.
Also am looking at buying the 1933-34 Restoration Guide but don't know if it contains any information on BB trucks?

supereal    -- 08-18-2011 @ 1:37 PM
  Unless someone knows of a salvage yard that specializes in the old big trucks, it is going to be a very difficult search. Most of them were worked until they went to the junk yard, where they were sold for scr*p, particularly during the war. I hope you have good luck, as examples of the big trucks are rare unless you can locate a firetruck.

Stroker    -- 08-18-2011 @ 2:10 PM
  I don't have a parts book, but I would assume that the "rear axle stud" refers to the studs
that attach the axle flange to the hub. If so, you might search a good industrial hardware source such as McMaster Carr. The ignition switch case, possibly might be the same as a 34 car, and you should be able to make your own steering box gaskets with a gasket punch, or as many of us have done, using spent pistol cartridges for punching bolt holes.

When you are working on something obscure, consider the fact that improvisation may be your only answer. Kinda reminds me of working on stuff before Hemmings, Drake or Carpenter existed.

1932BB    -- 08-18-2011 @ 5:07 PM
  tbcoons,
I will look in the "archives" tomorrow,I'm sure I have a switch case or four but let me make sure I have a good one with parts that work. The steering box was a special challenge for me as it took some looking to find five that were all canabalized to build one good one. I know that conventional wisdom says not to mix and match gears etc. but sometimes you get lucky and it works! I like Strokers idea to use cartridge cases for a gasket punch. Sharpened brake line works too but not near as colorful a solution.

supereal    -- 08-18-2011 @ 8:37 PM
  Gasket cutting sets are not expensive, and do a better job of making clean holes without frayed edges.

1932BB    -- 08-19-2011 @ 8:30 AM
  tbcoons
having chased the part number down i am not sure if you need just the box or other related parts. Contact me at Oldbeemers@charter.net

tbcoons    -- 08-19-2011 @ 2:35 PM
  The rear axle stud, BB-1109, is actually a stud that holds the axle to the hub as well as being tapped in the center to take a #8 (?) machine screw that holds axle cover on. Push comes to shove and I can get one machined.

Stroker    -- 08-19-2011 @ 3:47 PM
  That would be a rare find. I'd forgotten that our 35 truck also had hubcaps fastened the same way. If you could find an otherwise correct stud, you might be able to drill and tap the hubcap retaining screw hole, providing the stud hadn't been hardened after
rolling the threads.

bonusbuilt1950    -- 08-20-2011 @ 10:49 AM
  Go to www.partsvoice.com and navigate to the locator page. There, you pick ford for maqnufacturer and put the part numbers in without spaces and any dashes. You can do 3 at a ime. If there is any out there for NOS, they will list who has what. Addresses and phone numbers are listed. All the different car dealers use it for new or obsolete parts. I have found alot of stuff for my 50 F-1 on that site.

Barry

50 F-1

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=3613