Topic: Trailer Hitches

SDExpoman    -- 06-08-2011 @ 11:58 AM
  Looking to put a trailer hitch on my '37 truck. Anyone here do this yet? Any pictures???

Bob

Stroker    -- 06-08-2011 @ 1:00 PM
  Dad had a trailer hitch on his 38 (same frame) that he had made locally (SoCal) ca. 1940. I still have it, but would have to dig it out of the barn for a photo. Most of those "period-correct" homebrew hitches attached to the bottom of the spring u-bolts, replacing the factory spring u-bolt retaining straps. The rear portion of the hitch bar had a short tab of angle iron bolted to the rear cross member between the rear bumper braces. Pretty simple, really. He pulled a rather heavy
2-horse trailer with this setup for years without problems. I believe the main "drawbar" portion of the hitch was just 1/2" x 3 hot-rolled bar stock, and the plate that the spring u-bolts passed through was 3/8 thick, and drilled to anchor the plate to the bottom center of the spring.

supereal    -- 06-08-2011 @ 2:39 PM
  The type of hitch depends directly upon the weight and size of the trailer. They are divided by a "class" designation. I had a hitch that was attached to the step bumper on my 3/4 ton pickup. We beefed it up with some direct co0nnections to the frame. It worked well with most of our flatbed trailers until I hooked up my enclosed car trailer. When I reached my destination, the bumper was hanging down at an angle! We installed a Class 4 hitch, and had no further difficulty. It convinced me that the way to go is to consult a hitch dealer with lots of experience, rather than "home brew" a hitch. Losing a trailer on the highway is a first class disaster, regardless of the vintage of the towing vehicle.

cdubs    -- 03-06-2012 @ 12:50 PM
  Does anyone know what the tow rating is for a 38 half ton?

This message was edited by cdubs on 3-6-12 @ 12:51 PM

cdubs    -- 03-06-2012 @ 12:51 PM
  Does anyone know what the row rating is for a 38 half ton?

supereal    -- 03-06-2012 @ 3:27 PM
  I would be concerned about hooking a trailer to any vehicle with mechanical brakes. I've pulled lots of trailers over the years, and unless yours is a small two wheeled type, anything larger presents special safety hazards.

cdubs    -- 03-06-2012 @ 8:59 PM
  Fortunately, the brakes were replaced with 39 hydraulics.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=3205