Topic: 1937 Ford Pickup with radio

jameson5938    -- 05-22-2011 @ 9:12 PM
  Can someone tell me what the speaker should look like for the radio in a 37 pickup/closed car? I have the radio and all the parts ( I THINK!) and also the ashtray, but still need the speaker!! Does the ashtray just slip in the hole or should there be anything that goes with it to keep it in the hole? Anyone have a picture??? Anyone HAVE a speaker for sale?? Since this dash did not have the radio or ashtray initially, any info. regarding the size of the holes would be helpful!! ANY info. would be appreciated!!!
Thanks!!!

James A. Westbrook

This message was edited by jameson5938 on 5-31-11 @ 6:39 PM

Lincoln    -- 05-25-2011 @ 12:11 PM
  James: Someone needs to research the subject through the FORD Archives, as very little info exists on the 1937 Commercial and Truck Accessories. Aside from the 77-18805 listed in the 1937 Chassis Parts List, and identified as "radio receiver assembly (in carton)"; and a 3/23/37 service letter announcing its availability; the only info on it is a glimpse of the radio dial in an Accessory folder Form 7605 dated March 1937.
The dial looks like the 1936 radio dial with maybe a brown face, and knobs which look a little lighter in color than the rest of the dash knobs. It would not surprise me that Ford would use the 1936 radio dial (and radio receiver)in Trucks, as he also used them in the early 1937 cars. If Ford used the 1936 complete radio assembly in Trucks, he may have chose the style which had the speaker attached to the front of the receiver, with all of it being bolted to the firewall under the dash and just above the steering column. Or did they attach the speaker to the 1936 radio in some other manner? "THE 1937 FORD BOOK" gives some info on how Ford did this when installing 36 radios in the 37 - although the info is not too clear.
Your question raises another: how was the antenna mounted? Was it done like Ford did it for 1935-36 by mounting the antenna "on top of the cab"? Or did they attach the antenna (aerial) to the side of the cowl, like shown in the 1937 book?
One other thing - since you are also looking for an dash ashtray - it seems to me that only one can be used at a time, either one or the other. Another question: what did the ashtray look like? Could it have been the 1936 tilt-down style?
I hope that someone else can come up with some answers on all these interesting questions.
Lincoln.

jameson5938    -- 05-30-2011 @ 7:24 PM
  I have now purchased TWO radios which look exactly like the radio in the Ford Accessories booklet for 1937. The face IS different than the one for the 36. And the 38 is different as well. I have also found the ashtray! The ashtray goes below the radio dial. A pretty difficult to find part!! Still looking for info. regarding the speaker. I recently talked with an older gentleman who is currently in posission of a booklet that I believe is something very few if any know about! It is also my understanding that Ford Archives is very interested in the booklet as even THEY do no have one! It is supposedly a booklet showing accessories SPECIFICALLY for the 37 & 37 Pickup which shows a gun rack, chrome bed rails, a larger flashlight than the car had, etc. The man in posission can not take pictues or ANYTHING as it would void the sale!! I hope it becomes available in the not too distant future!! Well - still trying to figure out exactly what the speaker looks like and where it goes! There is definitely NOT a speaker with the radio box that contains all the tubes, etc.

James A. Westbrook

jameson5938    -- 06-09-2011 @ 10:29 PM
  I continue to get different answers regarding the correct radio for the 37 Pickup with the Deluxe Accessory Group option! I am told it was the 36 radio in the 37 pickup and I am told the 37 radio as shown in the Ford accessories booklet for 1937 is correct! I know in ONE of the pickups I have - it had the 37 radio, but I guess it COULD have been put in later and the owner ordered the 37???!! I have been unable to contact the 37 advisor in this regard or anyother regard! Not sure WHAT is going on there!! Been trying for three months! Anyway - just need answers regarding the CORRECT radio, correct speaker and correct antenna!!! HELP!!!!

James A. Westbrook
Knoxville, TN
westbrook4133@knology.net
(865) 898-2704

This message was edited by jameson5938 on 6-9-11 @ 10:30 PM

2genV8er    -- 09-23-2011 @ 5:16 PM
  James,

I have a Bulletin (#124), dated July 1st, 1937 from Philco Auto Radio.

The front reads "Manual Of Installation" "Two Unit Radio"
'For use only with FORD ROTARY (Reserve Power) AERIAL for 1937 Ford Trucks, Model 810"

I can scan and send to you Monday of next week if you like.

As far as the Aerial goes...(and I quote) "A special Aerial is provided for installation on the FRONT OF THE ROOF. See deatiled instruction PACKed with the Aerial for installation procedures"

Still going through stuff to see if I can find you a photo or drawing.

v/r, JC

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=3113