Topic: Anyone near Crockett, TX?

davidschmidt    -- 05-09-2011 @ 10:35 AM
  I have a 1937 Ford V8. We have rebuilt the carb, fuel pump, fuel supply line, etc but still not getting a spark or the fuel pump working. Now I think I need someone to look at the distributor. Maybe the teeth on that distributor drive gear are worn? Does anyone have a recommendation on where I could go for help? If the timing needs to be changed, I wouldn't know how to do that.

supereal    -- 05-09-2011 @ 7:15 PM
  Unless you have a later engine, the distributor is driven directly from a slot in the front of the camshaft., and timing is fixed. One common factor between the distributor and the file pump is the camshaft. Remove the distributor, and while cranking the engine, look to see if the camshaft is actually turning. If not, it is likely the timing gear is stripped.

TomO    -- 05-10-2011 @ 6:57 AM
  If you have not invested in a voltmeter and a vacuum gauge, now would be a good time to do it. A simple analog type voltmeter available at Radio Shack will give you many years of reliable service for less than $20. Checking voltage is a good way to diagnose electrical problems.

The voltmeter can be used to check the voltage at the coil. It should be at least 3 volts and should change to above 5 volts as you tap the starter. The 5 volt reading is with the points open and the 3 volt reading is with the points closed. This check can be made before removing the distributer.

The vacuum gauge can be used to check the fuel pump and general engine condition.

To check the fuel pump, connect the vacuum gauge to the input of the fuel pump and crank the engine. The fuel pump should develop 10 inches of vacuum in 15 seconds of cranking and hold the vacuum enough so that it takes 1 minute to decline to 0.

If you are a member of the Early Ford V-8 Club, look in the Roster for members that live near you.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=3042