Topic: 51 Stock Exhaust hits Steering box

Texas40    -- 04-30-2011 @ 8:48 AM
  I am installing a fresh 8BA in my 51 pickup. When I removed the old engine the exhaust manifold was cracked/broken. Engine looks like it may be the original,but I haven't pulled a head to check. When I installed the fresh engine with correct exhaust manifold it still contacts the mounting bolt of the steering box so it will surely crack later. Tranny support is new. Should I just shim between the bisquits and the water pumps to obtain clearance?

supereal    -- 04-30-2011 @ 10:58 AM
  That's one way of doing it. Are you using the 8RT water pumps with the 8BA engine? Usually, these will provide adequate manifold clearance. We just completed installing an 8BA in a '38 Tudor, and though the clearance was small. it did fit with the truck pumps. It is possible to move the steering box just enough to give some space. One of the main concerns about the manifold to steering box position in old Fords has always been the transfer of heat which cooks the box and its lube.

51f1    -- 04-30-2011 @ 4:18 PM
  I've got a '51 F-1 that I recently restored. I did not have the clearance problem you describe, however, on my truck there is about 1/4" or less clearance between the steering box and the manifold, so there is not much room for error. Try loosening your mounts and wedging the engine to the passenger side. Also make sure the steering box is flat against the frame Loosen the steering box and make sure it is down as far as it will go. There are three bolts that hold the box to the frame. If all else fails, put some fender washers under the motor mount(s). If that causes the fan to hit the shroud, you will have to deal with that. Your frame could be bent or it may have even been built that way. I haven't found much evidence of quality control on these old trucks. My engine mount on the passenger side would not line up with the mounting hole. After a little persuasion, it practically fell into place.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 5-12-11 @ 7:54 AM

Texas40    -- 05-10-2011 @ 7:35 AM
  Thanks for the advice guys, I found a pair of new motor mount pads that were actually thicker than the ones I was using. I do have the stock pickup water pumps so once I got the engine up and the new pads installed I had about a quarter inch clearance on the box and manifold. Cooking the steering lube has always bothered me but at least I do have clearance. I drove it yesterday for the first time in a while--I had forgotten how much fun it is.

51f1    -- 05-11-2011 @ 2:01 AM
  Why didn't I think of that?!!

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=2981