Topic: 1948 F1 Transmission help

Rocky103    -- 04-19-2011 @ 10:37 AM
  Hey guys, I recently purchased an original 1948 Ford F1 6cyl (pic attached) while attending the Charlotte motor speedway car show two weeks ago. My plan for the truck is just to get it drivable until I complete the restoration on my 1947 Ford Sedan Coupe. After I finish the 47 I plan to do a complete original restoration to the 48 F1 truck, however the one thing I want to change out is the 4spd floor shift transmission that is currently in it.

I want to go to an original 3spd floor shift transmission. My questions are:
What transmission should I be looking for that will fit the original 1948 6cyl flathead?
What would be the year range that would fit my 6cyl engine?
Also, does anyone have the transmission in question they are looking to sell or know of someone who does?
Any Information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Side question: Is there a good book out there that cover the 1948 ford F1 that is as detailed as the 41-48 ford handbook that EV8 club put together? (fantastic book by the way)

Thanks guys,
Steven

Brief Intro:
I’m Steven Thomas a fairly new member to the EV8 club, been a member for about a year now. I guess I fall under the new generation of classic car lovers being 30 years of age. Me and my dad do all the restoration work ourselves from disassembly and blasting to interior and paint. I own the 48 F1, a 47 Sedan Coupe, and a 65 Austin Healey 3000MKII. My dad has a 53 Buick and a 53 Mercury.

Norm    -- 04-19-2011 @ 11:14 AM
  I did exactly this swap a couple of years ago. It made a huge difference in driveability!

There is no difference between 6 cyl and V8 transmissions. Any "top-loader" trans with an open driveshaft will work. If you find a good torque tube configured unit I have the parts to covert it to open (Hotchkiss) drive.

The four speed uses a different rear mount and drive shaft configuration. You will need new u-joints and a different drive shaft (and yoke). The Ford truck parts book that covers the truck shows the drive shaft dimensions. I found mine leaning against a barn in a small town in Maine.

Collect the parts first. Make sure the trans is up to snuff and then go for it. I did all the work with the floor (transmission cover) removed and didn't even have to jack it up.

I'll be glad to give pointers as you go along. Contact me at nmacintyre@roadrunner.com if I can help.

Good luck!!

Norm

Norm

bsheret12    -- 04-19-2011 @ 12:50 PM
  I have a '49 F1 six cyl with 3 speed. It drives/shifts very nicely. Back in the '60s I had a '48 with a six. It had a '39 car trans with homemade drive line adapter made by the previous owner. I made the mistake of swapping in a '57 merc 312 cid engine. The truck was FAST but the trans would not hold up. I finally ran out of junk yard transmissions so I installed a 4 speed. It held up but was a bear to shift. One night in about 1967 I pulled a full car length on a brand new Olds 442 thru 1st (really 2nd) gear but then I had to shift. End of Race. I still have a couple of the blown trans and maybe a case or two if you want to do a rebuild. A good toploader 3 speed should not be too hard to find though.
Bernie

supereal    -- 04-19-2011 @ 3:54 PM
  I'm not sure it is worth the time and trouble unless you are putting in a synchro transmission. The four speed has a "granny" gear, but high gear s still straight through. The rear end ratio is important in deternining how the truck will perform at hiway speeds.

51f1    -- 04-21-2011 @ 2:27 PM
  The standard transmission in a F-1 pickup whether it was a 6-cylinder or 8-cylinder was the 3-speed light duty transmission. There were also a heavy duty 3-speed transmission and synchronized and non-synchronized 4-speeds available. All of the light duty 3 speed transmissions used on the trucks are basically the same except that in 1951 they went from a floor shift to a column shift, and all parts are not interchangeable. My parts catalog only shows one drive shaft for a Model C (1/2-ton), but who knows what is actually on your truck. I'd go for a '48-'50 light duty floor shift transmission. I'm sure someone has one they will sell you (also check Hemming's Motor News), and parts are available from suppliers like Job Lot in NYC.

As for books, you need a Ford Truck Chassis Parts Catalog (published in 1952 or 1954) and a factory service manual. You can find new and used service manuals on e-bay. The reproduced service manual covers 1949-1952, but the '48 and '49 models are essentially the same. I recommend that you not get the reproduced '48-'56 parts catalog, originally published in 1964. It is too expensive and has too many parts that you are not interested in. I have after-market books, but, to me, they are not nearly as helpful. Also get parts catalogs from the many suppliers.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 4-22-11 @ 12:40 PM

pagrisafi    -- 05-16-2011 @ 11:10 AM
  Hello

Several years ago, I too switched from that animal 4-speed to a 3 speed light duty and have been very happy since. I have a 48 F-1. Talk to Bob Selzam of Half-Ton Fun 732-928-9421. A while ago he told me he had one for sale. Most likely, you will also need the appropriate drive shaft too. His hours are limited: Monday Tuesday Thursday and Friday, 10-4. If he does not answer, keep calling. He knows Fords, believe me. All your questions will be answered.

Right now, I am working on my web site that discusses my transmission experience. www.f-1truckfun.org
The transmission part should be done soon. Let me know how you do.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=2940