Topic: 37 Pickup - Deluxe accessories package

jameson5938    -- 04-05-2011 @ 6:02 PM
  Does ANYONE have or know anyone who has a 37 Ford Pickup with the deluxe accessories package? I am needing some close up pictures and/or dimensions of the stainless steel trim around the hood louvers to have some made since I can't find anyone who makes these parts or has any for sale! Thanks!!!

James A. Westbrook

trjford8    -- 04-06-2011 @ 8:36 PM
  Jim. if you are a club member check your roster for Frank Alberda in California. He has a nice 37 pickup and is very knowledgeable them. I suspect he can help you regarding accessories.

Lincoln    -- 04-07-2011 @ 7:19 PM
  JIM : Your request for 1937 Deluxe Pickup hood moldings prompted some research into as to whether FORD ever offered them as an accessory, as I had never heard of them. Well, they are listed in the parts list as "hood louvre moldings" part #77-16722 & #77-16723 (right and left sides respectively). Required one molding per side. When ordering new hood side panels the dealer had to drill them for the moldings, if so equipped. It is not known how this was done - location of holes, number of holes,etc.- nor the physical dimensions of the moldings. They must be long however as the book lists 32 retainer fasteners for the two moldings, and that the retainers were also used on 1935 cars. Have not checked this retainer out, but if it also fit the 1935 hood side moldings, then the 1937 molding must be quite narrow. I also found a Jan. 15, 1937 St. Louis Branch Sales Letter listing these as part of an Optional Deluxe Accessory Group available at extra cost for Commercials & Trucks (excluding Station Wagons). FORD called them "hood louvre beading". Also included in this Group were a chrome plated radiator grille, windshield frame, rear view mirror, and two windshield wipers. It also included twin deluxe horns, a dome light, and two sun visors.

Sorry I can not help you on locating the moldings, but I wish you luck in finding them. They must be very rare as I have seen FORD magazine photos of Deluxe-equipped 1937 Commercials and Trucks which "do not appear" to have hood moldings. But maybe the moldings are too small to see them.
Hope this helps.
Lincoln.

ford38v8    -- 04-07-2011 @ 8:56 PM
  Lincoln, you are way over the top. You need to write a book to include all the documentation in your possession.

Alan

Stroker    -- 04-08-2011 @ 8:48 AM
  38V8: I'll second that motion! I found this photo on a Google Image Search, and I believe that
even though it is a platform stake (with rare factory fender package), I believe it shows the subject chrome trim.

ford38v8    -- 04-08-2011 @ 12:00 PM
  Dan, I think you got it. I was thinking individual louver strips. What you can't see in this picture is the rear view mirror and visors. You and Lincoln co-author?

Alan

Stroker    -- 04-08-2011 @ 4:20 PM
  Alan: I'd vote for Gary Mallast as co-author, and I think you would agree. I remember my High School (Chaffey Union HS) had a gorgeous 36 ton-and-a-half that the auto shop kept pristine in the 50's. It must have had the "Deluxe" package, as the windshield frame and grille sh-ll* was chromed. I just thought it was a former "Dealer Demonstrator", but after reading Lincoln's notes on the 37, maybe it was simply a Deluxe Package.

*hyphenated to prevent the Forum's built-in censor from having to delete a reference to Hades.

One of the great assets of this Forum is the number of participants who really care about "getting it right". Sadly, we are losing so many who have first-hand experience. Some of this stuff really needs to be memorialized, and so I agree with you that Lincoln needs to write a book. Given his resources, it will have to be published in volumes.

jameson5938    -- 04-08-2011 @ 6:25 PM
  This was considerably more info. that I had hoped for! All of you are GREAT!!! I do have a picture of what I want my 37 Ford Pickup (with deluxe accessories package) to look like. Found this by accident on a search and found this truck won several titles - not sure with which organization! I will TRY to attach the photo!!! I wrote Bob Drake who emailed me that they are actually going to MAKE this part in stainless steel as they have had several requests (mine being one of them). Looks like it will be in ABOUT a year before they are ready to market them! If anyone can tell me what color red this truck is painted, I'd appreciate it!! Thanks for all your help!!!

James A. Westbrook

Just wanted to add that I was told this truck was "1996 AACA Grand National and Early Ford V-8 Club Dearborn Award winner" if that helps!

This message was edited by jameson5938 on 4-10-11 @ 3:07 AM

jameson5938    -- 04-08-2011 @ 6:29 PM
  I meant to also attach a photo from one of our members (I THINK) who found some of the hood side louver trim pieces! They APPEAR to be approx. 1/4" - 3/8" wide. I appreciate the info. on HOW they may have been attached!! I have also found another company who will make these, once I know FOR SURE what the width is and the radius - if I am unable to wait the year on Bob Drake to make them! I have also located an original invoice from ford that lists the deluxe accessories package and the customer paid $18.00 additional for it! A good bit of money since the truck only cost $455.!!! I may be a NEW MEMBER, but I am getting the hang of the forum - I THINK and doing my research. My wife (teacher of 6th grade ENGLISH) doesn't check my grammar or spell'n - thank God!!! Thanks again!!!

James A. Westbrook

This message was edited by jameson5938 on 4-8-11 @ 6:35 PM

ford38v8    -- 04-08-2011 @ 7:11 PM
  James, the truck color you request is not possible from the picture provided. It may be the lighting that darkens the color, but no stock Ford I know of has a color red that dark.

Alan

josd    -- 08-28-2011 @ 8:47 AM
  We just bought a 37 pickup to restore. I believe it has the pieces you are talking about. Not a great picture but maybe this can help. We can take measurements if that would help you.

oldproudvet    -- 09-13-2011 @ 8:55 PM
  In the 1937 "Handbook for Truck and Commercial Car Salesmen" the accessory packages are clearly laid out. If interested I can copy the 3 pages and post them.

2genV8er    -- 09-22-2011 @ 12:49 PM
  James, my name is Joe Cason (son of Nolan Cason) I can can take and send pics of the requested trim if you still need them. (Or any other for that matter) I'm not as smart as he was on the subject of old Fords, but I'm trying to learn a little more everyday

2genV8er    -- 09-23-2011 @ 6:15 AM
  James,

If you will email me at joe.cason@seymourjohnson.af.mil I have copied some of the documetation that Dad had on '37 trucks and the options for that year, and will be more than happy to send to you.

v/r, JC

2genV8er    -- 09-23-2011 @ 6:19 AM
  Also...here are a couple of good pics to help out.

2genV8er    -- 09-23-2011 @ 6:20 AM
  another

51f1    -- 10-14-2011 @ 1:52 PM
  Regarding the red truck, there is almost 100% chance that there was only one shade of red for the year that the pictured truck was built. If the color in the picture is authentic, you can look it up. The only red I can find for 1937 Ford trucks is called vermillion, Ford number M1722. That particular color was used through 1955.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=2873