Topic: oil pump priming

clock47    -- 03-28-2011 @ 9:31 AM
  I have read several places about "packing the oil pump with vaselene" and that it helps with oil pickup. Can someone give a detailed proceedure on how to "pack" the vaselene?? Having never done it, it seems obvious but you never know.

supereal    -- 03-28-2011 @ 1:57 PM
  That's a new one for me. I wouldn't put anything in a oil pump but oil. The pump is a positive displacement gear type and doesn't need to be primed. With new engines, we leave out the spark plugs and run the starter for a short time to put oil in the galleries. As we prelube the bearings when assembling the engine, we don't worry about damage.

Stroker    -- 03-28-2011 @ 6:13 PM
  I'd agree with Supereal, as while some modern motors, like the Old's Quad-4 require packing the oil pump with grease, the EFV8 pump is placed so low that priming shouldn't be a problem. The theory behind packing with grease is that a gear-type oil pump does a lousy job of creating a vacuum when dry, as it is not designed to be an air pump.

Some modern motors drive the oil pump off of a crank gear, which places the pump way above the oil sump. Since the oil pump generally turns slowly, the gear vanes don't create enough suction to prime the pump. The grease seals the clearances, and as the pump expels the grease, enough vacuum is produced to suck the oil up into the pump, and the grease is then diluted with the oil flow to become part of the start-up lube oil supply.

I don't think it hurts to pre-pack a pump with grease, but in the case of a flathead, where the pump gears are mounted just above the oil reservoir, it is not necessary.

51f1    -- 03-31-2011 @ 5:50 AM
  I think that the best thing one can do is leave out the plugs and crank until you get oil pressure on a gauge long enough to get oil to all of the bearings.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=2821