Topic: 1951 F1 trans linkage

PeterFord    -- 03-16-2011 @ 8:03 PM
  The shift arms connected to my steering column shifter are wobbly on the shaft, allowing play in the gear shift arm. Do these things wear on that shaft? Is either replaceable? Can they be tightened to take up the slop?
Where do I go for parts?

supereal    -- 03-17-2011 @ 10:46 AM
  Yes, the entire shifting system usually wears because the grease fitting on the column was missed. Sloppy linkage can often be traced to the arms, themselves, but more often the grommets on both ends of the rods are shot, and the shifter arms on the transmission side plate are loose. The grommets are available as a kit from suppliers such as C&G. For your truck, order it as 01A-7354-RK. If there is any play in the arms on the side cover of the transmission, either the arms and/ or the attaching pins are likely worn. Often, we have to drill both the arms and the shaft holes oversize for either roll pins or bolts. If you see any leakage around the shafts, it is time to replace the seals. They are 01A-7288. They are small, delicate seals, and require some special technique to install without damage to the neoprene part. If there is unacceptable wear to the gear shift lever or other parts, these are available, too. I'd check the above first.

51f1    -- 03-17-2011 @ 12:24 PM
  I had to replace or repair all of the parts in the remote shift assembly. I also had to drill out the hole in the lower end if the tube that runs down the column and use a larger pin. (This is the pin that holds the solid insert in the tube, not the shifter pin.) Also, the hole in one of the shift fork shafts coming out of the transmission that receives the pin that holds it to the shift lever was larger than the pin, so I had to address that. It all wears out, so check it all for looseness. Any little bit of slack will be magnified at the shift lever.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 3-19-11 @ 12:51 AM

PeterFord    -- 03-17-2011 @ 9:04 PM
  Thank you for your reply. I have replaced the pins in the shifter arms on the trans. Involved drilling them out and installing roller pins. They are tight. It's the shft column and the way the shifter arms attach. That is where the play is. Are they on a spline, or a key-way system ? Also, where are the grommets you refer to?

PeterFord    -- 03-17-2011 @ 9:09 PM
  are the arms on the column shift rod attached with a pin? A spline, a key-way? Haven't taken it apart yet. The arms coming out of the trans are fine. I drilled them out and tightened them with roller pins.

supereal    -- 03-18-2011 @ 9:30 AM
  As I recall, when you remove the clamp on the column below the shifting arms and remove the rods, the arms can be dropped down and off. The arms slip over the tube, and are engaged when the tube is raised and lowered by the shift lever. If badly worn, replacement arms are available. They are not the same, as one is longer that the other. Second and high is 01A-7302, low and reverse, 01A-7303.

PeterFord    -- 03-18-2011 @ 5:21 PM
  thank you supereal. I really appreciate your help.

Peter

51f1    -- 03-18-2011 @ 11:25 PM
  The shift arms on the steering column are engaged by a pin in the lower end of the tube that is mounted on top of and runs most of the length of the steering column. When the shift lever is in the 2-3 position, the pin engages the lower arm. In the 1-2 position, it engages the upper arm. An illustration of this assembly is on page 311 of the 48-52 Truck Chassis Parts Catalog. In case you don't have that publication, I have attached the illustration to this post. (Don't be confused by the illustration in the repair manual and in all of the vendor catalogs. It is for a different model.) I suggest that you remove the steering column, take it apart and replace all of the worn parts. I've never done it, but you might be able to replace all of the parts by removing just the shifter tube (7209) on the outside top of the steering column.

The four bronze and rubber bushings, referred to as grommets in the correspondence above, go in the ends of the two remote control rods that go from the column to the transmission and in the shift levers on the steering column. They are readily available in kits. Don't forget the wave washer, part no. 351341-S. This is a spring washer that takes up the play in the connections.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/rcrispd/SteeringColumnandShiftAssembly.jpg

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 3-24-11 @ 2:01 PM

supereal    -- 03-19-2011 @ 11:20 AM
  The grommets for the arms on both ends of the rods must be attached by swedging the casing. You have to devise a tool for that job to get an even crimp of the brass tube.

51f1    -- 03-19-2011 @ 12:48 PM
  The bushing kits, (grommets), that I have bought came with a swaging tool.

Richard

PeterFord    -- 03-22-2011 @ 8:02 PM
  Richard:

Very helpful input, Richard. Many, many thanks. Where are these parts available? Where is that catalog available? Peter

PeterFord    -- 03-22-2011 @ 8:09 PM
  Richard:

I found this catalog at Amazon. I have ordered it. Many thanks

Peter

51f1    -- 03-23-2011 @ 9:01 AM
  The parts catalog I referenced is the official Ford catalog used by Ford dealers and published when the trucks were new (mine is dated January 1952). They are available sometimes on e-bay and from other sources where old Ford parts are sold.

There are numerous suppliers of parts for your old truck. If you are not aware of them, let me know, and I will furnish you a list. Or you can search for them over the Internet.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 3-23-11 @ 9:03 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=2758