Topic: Recommendations for Steering Box REBUILDER ?

ersatz    -- 03-10-2011 @ 3:24 PM
  Can someone recommend a GOOD & REASONABLE rebuilder for a 1946 Ford 1/2 Ton Pickup steering box? Does anyone have knowledge of NOS boxes?

Also, if you have rebuilt your own steering box...... What is a good ball-park figure for a total rebuild?

Thanks!

trjford8    -- 03-10-2011 @ 7:32 PM
  Try Clyde Bangiola in Cottonwood , Arizona. He's listed in the club roster. He does a great job on old Ford steering boxes.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-11-2011 @ 5:30 AM
  how many years does your steering box fit,it might easier and cheaper finding a replacement,
also placing a ad in the V8 wanted section of the classifieds might help.
post a pictures of what you are looking for,
my 3 cents worth, 37RAGTOPMAN
I have a 51 1/2 ton pickup truck box, but do not know if later years are the same.

supereal    -- 03-11-2011 @ 10:08 AM
  The important parts of the steering box are usually quite expensive. The worm, sector, etc, can easily push a hundred bucks each. The important thing to do before you tackle a rebuild is to determine where the slack is. Bushings and bearings can be replaced for less cost, if the play is in thoses areas. Then, the adjustments will often reduce the play. Steering boxes on old Fords suffered from the heat produced by the adjacent exhaust manifold which cooked the oil and caused excess wear from lack of lubrication. Many times, we find that the boxes were filled with chassis lube grease to lessen leakage. This almost always caused contact damage to the worm and sector because grease is pushed aside, while oil surrounds the parts. Now that salvage yard replacements are mostly gone, rebuilding is about the only resort. A full rebuild can run to or above $500, in many cases, depending on the condition.

ersatz    -- 03-15-2011 @ 2:54 PM
  Well, I've gotten some instructions on doing a rebuild on my own which I may attempt off season. Hope an adjustment will do until then, or maybe find a decent replacement at a swap meet. I also hope to make contact with a few names that were given me.

I thank you ALL for your input!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=2737