Topic: 35 Ford pickup

jasteiner    -- 02-13-2011 @ 5:16 PM
  I have a 35 Ford pickup that my dad bought in 1940. It is red, and near as I can tell was a Commercial Demonstrator. I have never seen a Red 1935. Is this rare? I have pictures from the 40s that prove this was the original paint scheme. Thanks Jack

nelsb01    -- 02-13-2011 @ 9:20 PM
  According to the book -- The Early Ford V-8 As Henry Built It -- 1935 Ford Pickup colors were:
Light Gunmetal Gray -- Apple Green stripe
Dearborn Blue -- Poppy Red stripe
Medium Luster Black -- Apple Green stripe
Cordoba Gray -- Poppy Red stripe
Vineyard Green -- Apple Green stripe
Vermillion Red -- black stripe

Hope this helps. Demonstrators could have been in any color, but red was not a special color according to the book.

alanwoodieman    -- 02-14-2011 @ 6:49 AM
  most demonstrators would be loaded up with accesories, the whole nine yards, the color might not be as important than the "bling"

supereal    -- 02-14-2011 @ 9:33 AM
  Trucks could be, and still are, special ordered from the manufacturer in various colors and patterns to match company needs. While there are "standard" colors, such as those mentioned, it isn't surprising to find trucks, from pickup to big ones, bearing unusual hues. For instance, "Ma Bell" ordered fleets of '35s and other years in the familiar olive and black shades for their linemen.

Stroker    -- 02-14-2011 @ 11:01 AM
  Our high school in the 50's had a 36 Commercial Demonstrator ton-and-a-half that they used for building & grounds maintenance. It was kept pristine, painted school bus yellow, and had a chrome grille sh*ll. I have since discovered that the chrome grille sh*ll was a fairly common item of "bling" on these vehicles, just as high visibility fire trucks often had items that were plated during the fitting of non-Ford equipment.

supereal    -- 02-14-2011 @ 3:08 PM
  Love those old fire trucks! I was once called out of bed to go release the brakes on a '37 firetruck. It had a vacuum booster to allow the mechanical brakes to provide enough braking to at least slow down the thing, as it carried a big, heavy, water tank, as did most rural equipment. While fighting a big grass fire, they found that the brakes were locked, and the fire was getting close! Later trucks often had electric brake locks so the truck could be secured while the drive line was operating the pump. My younger son is a local fire departemnt mechanic. I am amazed at both the complexity and the cost (!) of modern equipment.

Brendan    -- 05-21-2011 @ 6:02 AM
  i have a 36 pickup that was painted Demonstrator yellow and the fenders and running bords and the grill where all painted Washington blue.i had the privilege to meet and know Loren Sorenson, he told me that Ford would paint demonstrators bright colors to pull people in the dealers

Dave D    -- 05-25-2011 @ 10:53 AM
  jasteiner,

Do you have photos of your truck? Especially the interior? Could you send me some to theflightline@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Dave

Brendan    -- 12-11-2011 @ 9:57 AM
  i saw this 36 at a swap meat in Auburn Ca. the oner said that it was a Demonstrator model from Lodi ca.

Can't spell my way out of a paper bag!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=2589