Topic: stake sides

PeterFord    -- 02-05-2011 @ 7:27 AM
  I have a 51 Ford pickup and I want to build some stake sides for the bed. I would like to see pictures of stake side vintage pickups. Does anyone know where I can look for these?

alanwoodieman    -- 02-05-2011 @ 4:31 PM
  do you have a convential pick-up of do you have a stake or flat bed body. Convential-pick ups, as far as I can tell never had "factory stakes" but were created by the owner or wood shop

PeterFord    -- 02-05-2011 @ 9:46 PM
  I have a conventional pickup with holes for the vertical stakes. I agree. There were no factory stake sides, only the option to make them yourself. I am a carpenter, and I have seen various vintage trucks with very elegant stake sides, so I thought I would make a set.
Many thanks. Peter

alanwoodieman    -- 02-06-2011 @ 10:41 AM
  reason I asked was I researched stake bed standards or the wooden part in order to make a set for my 3/4 ton truck and I found pictures only, could not find any actual measurements, even tried to find an original to measure but really had no luck.

PeterFord    -- 02-06-2011 @ 12:51 PM
  where did you find pictures?

alanwoodieman    -- 02-06-2011 @ 3:58 PM
  out of various Ford truck books

Idahobob    -- 02-09-2011 @ 4:34 PM
  I just acquired my Grandfathers 46 Ford and it still has the racks on the truck. I have heard more than one person say they are some of the nicest they have seen. They are rough looking in the photo due to the truck sitting in the garage since 1972. They were made out of hardwood and I have a picture from 1955 that shows this same set of racks on the truck. I can get a better picture of them the next time I get to the shop if you are interested.

alanwoodieman    -- 02-09-2011 @ 6:01 PM
  looks like a good project, family piece and yes the stake sides look great. I have a Ford picture in a book of a 41 3/4 ton truck with sides much like these.

41pickupguy    -- 02-11-2011 @ 1:00 PM
  Hi PeterFord.

You asked about pictures of pickups with stake sides. I was at the Barrett-Jackson Auction last month in Scottsdale, Arizona and took a few pictures of pickups with stake sides.
I am attaching one as a sample. (I tried to attach many more but it appears that only one attachment is allowed with this response.) If you send me your e-mail address, I will send you more with a variety of styles.

Ron Jensen (consultrja@att.net)

41pickupguy    -- 02-11-2011 @ 1:00 PM
  Sorry for the duplication

This message was edited by 41pickupguy on 2-11-11 @ 6:09 PM

alanwoodieman    -- 02-12-2011 @ 6:16 AM
  I found some pictures, but for operator error I don't seem to be a ble to post, send me your e-mail and I will send to you.
alan48@charter.net

TomO    -- 02-12-2011 @ 7:21 AM
  Alan, to post a single photo, Click on the BROWSE box and then browse to the folder with the photo in it. Select and open the photo and it will be attached to your reply.

For multiple photos, use Photobucket or a similar web based photo sharing service.

See Don Clink's permanent post in the General Ford Discussion section for hints on doing this.

Tom

supereal    -- 02-12-2011 @ 11:48 AM
  There are at least three styles of sides for pickups. One is the "stock rack", a high "cage" for hauling pigs and cows. There is a set of slats to raise the bed sides to haul feed sacks and hay bales, and another, consisting of single boards tha protect the top sides of the box, and often are used as a set of sign boards, as well. Most, if not all, of the stock variety were factory made by firms such as Obeco (Omaha Body Company), the others were mostly home built using plated carraige bolts to hold the slats to the stakes. On our farm, we used all three at one time or another. They probably would look pretty silly on today's posh "cowboy Cadillacs".

JebNY    -- 02-12-2011 @ 5:46 PM
  My stakes are for a flat bed so they will not be uch help but if you scroll down towards the bottom of my F1 page you will see the Barrel nuts I used with carriage bolts. It make a very clean finished job. They are also sometimes called sex nuts. They are a little hard to find and some places charge a lot. I found these on eBay for what I thought was a reasonable price.
http://www.jebs-stuff.com/F1

I should have taken a picture uninstalled, the barrel nut has a long shank that goes back in the hole. You drill a large hole on the nut side than the bolt side. All the treads are then internal.

Jim...

1950 F1 Stake

alanwoodieman    -- 02-12-2011 @ 8:14 PM
  stakes on my 41 3/4 yon

alanwoodieman    -- 02-12-2011 @ 8:22 PM
  thanks TomO, now that I have used the KISS approach it seem to work. Picture of 41 tonner with bed stakes sides in a factory brochure-reprint of a couple of adds

41pickupguy    -- 02-12-2011 @ 10:20 PM
  Here is another picture of stake sides on a pickup at Barrewtt-Jackson

47Jack    -- 03-03-2011 @ 12:54 PM
  Alan, where did you find the hardware for your stake racks. I've been looking for some time for my 1 and a 1/2 ton. Right now I have them scr*w*d together but I would like to find the brackets so they can be easily removed.

Thanks,

Jack

JebNY    -- 03-03-2011 @ 2:48 PM
  I bought my corner brackets at Tractor Supply.

Jim...

1950 F1 Stake

47Jack    -- 03-03-2011 @ 7:11 PM
  Thanks Jeb, I'll head over to TSC in the morning.

Jack

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=2542