Topic: 1939 1 1/2 ton wheels

KEGGER39    -- 01-12-2011 @ 10:01 AM
  1939 ford 1 1/2 ton stake body. I am looking to replace my split rim wheels, for a non split rim.Any ideas?These are 5 bolt budd wheels

supereal    -- 01-12-2011 @ 11:51 AM
  Contact Coker Tire at coker.com. If they don't have them, they will know who does.

KEGGER39    -- 01-12-2011 @ 1:21 PM
  coker only handles light duty hot rod type rims, nothing in the 1 1/2 ton budd style wheel.

supereal    -- 01-12-2011 @ 1:44 PM
  The next place to check is an area shop that does truck repair, particularly tires. I'm not at our shop today, but when I am, I'll consult our parts library. You might also check with any large salvage yard. They maintain an "interchange" index and can usually locate a yard that has what you need. We just did that to find and buy an unusual rear end for a one ton 4WD pickup and an "Xtreme" pickup by Chevy that is different from almost all their others.

truckdog62563    -- 01-12-2011 @ 1:55 PM
  Coker is a good source for tires, but not a source for replacement tubeless wheels having your 5 lug x 8" bolt pattern. But before we talk replacements I'll say it might not be necessary for you to replace your stock wheels. Stock wheels on a 1939 model year truck would have been the type known as "lock ring" style. These can still be serviced at big rig service centers as long as the wheels are not damaged, badly rusted, etc. Those of us with later trucks that came equipped with wheels called "widow makers", technically termed Firestone RH-5°, are the ones that really need replacements. These wheels came on the market in the late 1940s and became the dominant wheel supplied on our trucks. Because wheels get damaged and at times swapped during their service life, however, it is possible that you have them on your truck.

Posting pictures on this site appears to be a pain in the butt, so I'll not try. Instead I'll post my email address below and suggest you email me direct. I'll give you pictures of each style, cross sections, and anything else you need.

Tubeless wheels came on the market in 1956. The size that will replace your 20" tube type are 22.5". You might also be able to use 19.5s. I know of two people on other forums that have sets of 22.5s for sale. If you email me I'll go into a detailed description of the wheels that are available as well as a few other options. Stu McMillan

stu_sandymcmillan at sbcglobal dot net

Stu McMillan

'52 F-3 Marmon Herrington V8
'52 F-3 Marmon Herrington I6

This message was edited by truckdog62563 on 1-12-11 @ 1:58 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=2429