Topic: 1937 Truck Grille on Ebay

SDExpoman    -- 12-21-2010 @ 12:04 PM
  Item number 350420195319. Sold for $560. I noticed that the auction did not indicate which model truck it was from. I count 40 bars on it. I am looking to buy a 1/2 ton grille for my truck and need to know what the correct grille would be, and what a realistic price would be. Thanks

This message was edited by SDExpoman on 12-21-10 @ 12:16 PM

Stroker    -- 12-21-2010 @ 2:50 PM
  SD:

If you have good eyes, you might try counting the grille bars on some of these 37's.

http://www.oldbleu.com/gallery.htm

SDExpoman    -- 12-21-2010 @ 3:01 PM
  Great pics Stroker. Only problem is the bumper is hiding some of the grille bars.

Stroker    -- 12-21-2010 @ 4:01 PM
  I'd count up from the crank hole in the last couple of photo's, as it appears that this is a "tonner". Personally, I don't think you will see much difference between the 37 truck and pickup grilles, as most of the differences between trucks of that vintage were in the front fenders. In 1940, Ford clearly separated the front end layout from pickups to tonners, but the earlier years
are, I believe the same. Help me on this one, fellow V8'ers!

trjford8    -- 12-21-2010 @ 7:08 PM
  In '37 the big trucks used the same cab,hood, and grille as the pickups. The front fenders were different as they had a bigger opening for the big truck wheels.

SDExpoman    -- 12-23-2010 @ 6:08 PM
  Excellent. Great to know. Thanks all for the info. How about prices though? Anyone have a ballpark idea of what a decent grille would be as seen in picture provided?

Stroker    -- 12-23-2010 @ 6:53 PM
  There's an old saying: "you have to have a willing buyer, and a willing seller". The price of the grille on Ebay reflected that particular moment in time. I could post an ad for a 37 truck grille, and if nobody wanted one, then it's worth it's weight in scr*p iron. If I posted the ad and there were 50 people out there that had 37 Ford trucks missing only a grille, I might get 5 figures for it. The value of any part is simply a matter of supply and demand.

There are no "guidelines" as to appropriate value. Grilles tend to be pricey, as they are easily damaged, and are generally the first thing that gets cannibalized when a derelict vehicle is abandoned, as they are easy to cart off.

One thing that is currently working against you is the "Rat Rod" trend. Early Ford truck grilles, and even tractor grilles are finding new homes on all kinds of kinetic expressions, as they are generally cheaper and more plentiful than passenger grilles.

trjford8    -- 12-23-2010 @ 7:32 PM
  I agree with Stroker about the pricing of grilles. It depends on how bad you need it.Decent '39 passenger car grilles go from $800-1500. Again it's supply and demand. There's another way to look at grille prices; say you bought a nice pickup for $3000 and all that was missing was the grille. If the current market shows a complete pickup(in the same shape) selling for $6000, then you could conceiveably pay $3000 for a grille and still be in the ball park if you needed to sell the truck. I would think that a very nice 37 pickup grille should sell for $500-900. The longer you wait to buy one the more expensive they get as the supply dwindles.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=2333