Topic: 42-47 running board bolts delema

mikey01h    -- 12-17-2010 @ 1:56 PM
  I am having difficulty finding the running board carriage bolts for my truck. The bolts are shouldered with to prevent the bolt from crushing the running board and larger than normal square lock under the rounded head. Also the bolt is fine thread 5/16 with a larger than standard head diameter, which leads me to looking at a 3/8 carriage bolt (which I would have to drill out the boards and braces) which I don't really want to do because I would rather keep it stock if possible.
Any sugestions???
Thanks....

trjford8    -- 12-17-2010 @ 7:52 PM
  Try Roy Nacewicz at; www.fordbolts.com. If Roy doesn't have them I'm sure he can make an alternate suggestion.

mikey01h    -- 12-18-2010 @ 10:01 AM
  I called Roy, I was going to get the complete bolt kit from him, unfortunately he doesn't make a kit for the 42-47 pickups. I believe it was Roy that initially pointed out the difference between the running board carriage bolt for these years and off the shelf carriage bolts. I also contacted Select Motors Co. as they do allegedly have bolt kits for these years, however not the proper running board bolts (they specify hex bolts...). I am assuming I will probably need NOS bolts if I can find them... I have called several parts dealers, of yet with no luck. Hopefully others have sources or solutions to remedy my delema...

ford38v8    -- 12-18-2010 @ 7:44 PM
  Try Dennis Carpenter. He has a large collection of odds and ends....... http://www.dennis-carpenter.com/

Alan

mikey01h    -- 12-19-2010 @ 7:23 AM
  I have tried Dennis, and C&G, Early Ford store, MAC, Northern Classis truck, Bolt Depot, Obsolete, Kanter, PRO Antique Auto Parts, Half Ton Fun, Baxters, Sacramento Vintage Ford, of course Joe Smith in Decatur and Brownlee's here in Lawrenceville to no avail... some carry bolts for the CARS in these years, but not the trucks (I suppose they are different). I consider myself rather lucky to date at finding parts for my truck, but this one has been a tuffy, I'm sure some one else has had to have the same issue and either found a source or come up with a creative alternative....

trjford8    -- 12-19-2010 @ 9:05 AM
  Try Louis Cote' in Nevada at 775-867-2729. He has a lot of NOS parts.You might also try Stacy Brown in Texas 817-275-2381.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 12-19-10 @ 9:09 AM

supereal    -- 12-19-2010 @ 10:19 AM
  If you have at least one original bolt, or an illustration, a good machine shop can create others from standard bolts. We sometimes have had to make odd parts, such as the tapered studs with the ball ends for lever shocks. Once the set up is done, multiple copies can be turned out. I didn't find running board parts in the 44-52 body parts book, but the green book shows three 5/16 fine thread (24) carriage bolts on page 610 for the running boards. They are 3/4. 7/8, and 1 inch in length.

mikey01h    -- 12-19-2010 @ 6:31 PM
  Tentatively I have decided to try a piece of phenolic, cut it into 3/8 X 7/8 strips and insert it into the running board channel (on the bottom of the running board). Drill 11/32 holes (TBD) to facilitate a swag for the smaller box end of a normal 5/16 carriage bolt. The 3/8 thickness will substitute for shoulder of the original bolt to keep the keep the bolt from crushing the running board, and hopefully the correct diameter in the phenolic will swag enough to keep the carriage bolt from spinning enough to tighten the nut and lock washer.
I still would rather have original parts, and will contact the other sources recommended first.
Thoughts and/or recomendations are welcome and appriciated
Thanks to all...

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=2314