Topic: 38-47 cab over trucks

alanwoodieman    -- 11-01-2010 @ 7:23 AM
  We would like some information on these trucks, are they basically the same cab? We are working on a 38 and need some parts and we would like to know if we can use parts from what year cabs?

Stroker    -- 11-01-2010 @ 9:10 AM
  Alan:

As I'm sure you realize, Ford changed cabs in 1940 for all their conventional trucks. You are correct in assuming that they retained the 38 style 3-ribbed cab with crank-out windshield for the cab over's through 47, with the main differences being in the hood/grille area.

Bob Drake has been restoring a COE of his own, and he might be a good source of detail differences,
as I believe there are some instrumentation changes year by year that are contemporary with the conventional cabs.

alanwoodieman    -- 11-01-2010 @ 9:45 AM
  Stroker. thanks, I have a conventional cab 41 truck and with some slight changes it is the same as a 40-47 cab. That is why I questioned the sameness of the 38-47 cabovers.

Stroker    -- 11-01-2010 @ 11:41 AM
  Alan:

It seems unlike Ford to not keep some unity to their product lines, but having driven COE's in my youth, I suspect the logic was that in the summer they need all the fresh air in the cab they can get, as it gets really toasty up there. Since the conventional's
had no provision for opening the windshield, it was probably more logical to keep the earlier, better vented cab and happy drivers.

supereal    -- 11-01-2010 @ 4:30 PM
  The COE trucks are somewhat like the open cars. Things look the same, but often there are subtle differences. There are good books available regarding these trucks. Look on page 29 of the C&G online catalog.

alanwoodieman    -- 11-01-2010 @ 7:18 PM
  Thanks Bob

supereal    -- 11-02-2010 @ 10:33 AM
  You are welcome. My family had an early COE with a dump box. We called it "Stubby". The short wheelbase was fine because it allowed us to turn in short spaces, such as alleys, to put coal down the chutes (that will tell you how long ago!). If it wasn't for those vents on either side of the cab, it would have made a better oven than a truck.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=2112