Topic: 1950 Ford F1 Restoration Questions

deluxe40    -- 10-14-2023 @ 2:44 PM
  Hello, I'm the V8 Club's 1949-51 Ford advisor and I am trying to answer questions from a member restoring a 1950 F1. I am not an expert. Is there a book available for restoration details on the 49-51 F1 pickups?

Here are the questions (from Tom Kane). Any help would be appreciated:

Is a chrome front bumper acceptable or should it be steel painted black?
Are white wall tires acceptable?
Are beauty rings on the rims acceptable?
Should the running board bolts be painted semi gloss black?
Should the rear fender brace bolt be painted? If so, what color?
Should the tailgate hinge bolts be painted? If so, what color?
Should the tail light itself be all black or have a stainless steel ring around it?

Thanks,

52flthed    -- 10-15-2023 @ 12:58 PM
  I'm half an expert.

Chrome Bumpers were an option at some point on the Bonus Built Trucks. Not sure if it included 1950 or not?
White Walls were not offered on Trucks. In my opinion look horrible on a truck to begin with.
Beauty rings either to my knowledge.
Running board bolts I believe were cadmium plated. Thus I defaulted on my truck restoration, to using the Stainless Steel versions commonly available, just my preference due to their location for rusting.
Rear Fender bolts are supposed to be welded into the bed wall and painted body color as is the entire bed. 1950 was a transition year in trucks, steering wheel column shift and the bed changed mid year as well, I used again stainless steel as it was more practical for me to do so and looks quite nice.
Tailgate hinges painted body color.
The original tail light housing door was black. However the stainless steel rings I believe were available over the counter at the parts store. The black doors look better in my opinion, less common and actually makes the lens more visible against the all black housing.

I would consult with the James Wagner Book for all information concerning truck you will get a lot of specific details from that book.

deluxe40    -- 11-03-2023 @ 10:18 AM
  52flthed - Thanks for the response. I bought the James Wagner book and after searching it and the Don Bunn book and all of the Lorin Sorensen books, I agree with most of your observations. The exception is the tail light ring. Although most pictures are front three-quarter and don't show the tail lights, all of the rings I saw were shiny. Most of the tail light bodies were painted black, but I found two that looked body color. The fender bolt that was in question is the one that holds the bracket to the frame - pictures seem to show that one as body color. I wonder how Ford did that, given that the bodies were painted before being dropped on the frames. Maybe the fenders were painted with the brackets already installed.

52flthed    -- 11-03-2023 @ 6:28 PM
  Hi you’re welcome!

See 1948 promotional photo below for reference on tail light door color. Again stainless was available at dealer but they came painted black from the factory. I have a pair of NOS in the box black painted tail light doors. But I just had the stainless ones powder coated black. This way they won’t rust.

If you mean the Rear Fender support bracket? Those bolts were cadmium plated which is a dull gray metal. I used the available stainless steel ones because of their location close the ground. You could just buff those up with a scotch brite pad to get a good approximation.

The Don Bunn book has a lot of errors in it. Nice color pictures but not a researched product like the James Wagner book is.

If buying parts for your truck I’d also recommend consulting with Chuck Mantiglia. Chucks Trucks . He’s the country’s foremost expert on Ford 1948-50 trucks. Advice is always free if you’re buying parts. He sells most everything you’d want.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=16708