Topic: 1947 V8 startup question

clock47    -- 07-28-2010 @ 7:19 AM
  I have a 1947 truck which I rebuilt the V8 a few years back but never started the engine, but now that I have retired I have time and am back to complete the body off restoration. However I am afraid to crank the engine without pre-oiling it (it was lubed during rebuild). I have found articles about using a drill to turn the oil pump PRIOR to cranking?? ANY info from someone who has done this or some other method would be greatly appreciated!! Also printed out the region 50 club application and look forward to joinong and reading the newsletter

supereal    -- 07-28-2010 @ 9:02 AM
  You can't run the oil pump on the flathead with a drill, as it is connected to the camshaft thru a gear train. I'd spray some oil, such as Marvel, into each cylinder and turn the engine over by hand to be sure it is loose, and lessen any effect from light rust. Rods and mains can't be prelubed without pulling the caps. Usually, cranking to start will allow the oil pressure to build enough to protect the bearings as long as the oil pan is filled to the correct level. Most bearing prelubes last for a long time. At our shop, we use Vaseline, and have started engines that were stored for many months. If it starts immediately, wait a while for the oil to circulate before revving it up. Flatheads with the proper clearances oil up quickly. It is a good idea to change the oil after a couple of hundred miles to drain any foreign collection from storage.

TomO    -- 07-28-2010 @ 9:13 AM
  Supereal's suggestions are very good. For added insurance, you can remove the plugs and crank the engine for about 10 seconds to get oil to the bearing surfaces before you try to start it.

Tom

clock47    -- 07-30-2010 @ 7:06 AM
  THANKS for your reply. Gives me hope

51f1    -- 07-31-2010 @ 8:17 AM
  In addition to the above, I suggest cranking the engine with the plugs removed until you build up oil pressure. This allows the oil pressure to build up with little load on the bearings and starter. After the oil pressure builds up, install the plugs and start the engine.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=1612