Topic: 45 spring removal

mikey01h    -- 07-26-2010 @ 6:45 AM
  I am trying to remove the rear springs on a 45 half ton. The rear shackle is easy to get to and drive the pin out, the front shackle however a much smaller access hole has and is blocked by a frame support gusset that will not allow you the room or proper angle to drive out the pin. Any recommendations????

supereal    -- 07-26-2010 @ 9:58 AM
  I assume you did remove the locking pin before trying to drive out the shackle pin. Sometimes you can insert a bolt into the grease fitting hole to pull the shackle pin out. Application of heat to the bracket may also loosen the pin. If all else fails, you may have to cut the rivets holding the bracket to the frame and drop the whole end of the spring to get at it. You can bolt the bracket back to the frame. Old springs are usually tough to remove because they have been exposed to the elements for years, and were not always kept greased. That makes driving the pin out a big job, even if you have access. You will likely have to use an air hammer to get it apart.

mikey01h    -- 07-26-2010 @ 12:08 PM
  You are correct; the locking pin has been removed. Both the gusset and the bracket are riveted on, I was hoping not to have to grind off the rivets and replace them with bolts if possible. The rivet is a much tighter fit and a bolt might have a tendency to move around, especially with the weight being focused on this joint. The manufacturer made rear pins easily accessible to drive out with a punch, but as for the front pins, the hole is much smaller and access blocked by the gusset. I thought there might be a specialty tool or some other obvious method I was missing. I tried the bolt in the fitting; however I was fearful of stripping the threads, the other pins I have removed seemed in good condition and reusable. It is difficult to get a direct impact on the back of a bolt head to drive it out ….
Seems this pin removal design was poorly engineered, I had considered drilling a hole in the gusset to allow me to align a punch in the pin access hole, but I don’t want to weaken the gusset.
Surely a service repair or center would not have ground off the bracket to remove the pins…or maybe they did!

supereal    -- 07-26-2010 @ 12:23 PM
  We usually do what we have to do to get the job done. Drilling a hole in the gusset won't weaken it enough to count, so if that is preferable to taking of the perch, I'd try it. When we use the grease fitting hole, we then pull the pins with a slide hammer, if they move at all. Usually, some heat is required.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=1601