Topic: 1936 Ford Truck Questions

oldfordslee    -- 12-20-2017 @ 12:27 PM
  Hello Folks, proud and glad to be a member here now and Happy Holidays everyone ! I had few questions, my first 1936 Ford half ton pick up truck I just found in a family who owned it for over 50 years now. I did some research on locating a Vin number and found it on front fram rail it's * 18-2244171*, Am I correct to assume that this is indeed a 1936 Ford truck half ton. I found other numbers on the transmission bell housing but the numbers are diff and start with BB and numbers, also trans shifter has a some sort of a link shifter in it, never seen it before. Anyway trying to confirm more info on this truck and as far as what color it was factory, no way finding it out? It;s patina rust color now lol. Thank you everyone in advance ! Cheers !

cliftford    -- 12-20-2017 @ 1:36 PM
  It sounds like a 4 speed 1 1/2 truck transmission. It is a non syncromesh tranny which means you have to double clutch when you shift gears. If you don't mind that it should work just fine.

nelsb01    -- 12-20-2017 @ 1:59 PM
  Greetings and welcome to the Club.
The frame number you list (* 18-2244171* ) references to a Sept 1935 build date for the engine (from one source), and within the calendar dates of 1936 in another source. Given we don't know where your truck was assembled, and with the delay of about 1 to 2 months (or less) from assembling the engine at the Rouge Plant in Dearborn to shipping to an assembly plant, your vehicle could have been assembled early in 1936.
It sounds like you have had a transmission replacement over the years. If the number on the transmission has BB on it, the housing is from a one ton or larger truck. You say that there is some sort of link shifter in it, which is interesting since 1936 pickup trucks had a 3 speed transmission with the gear shift lever in the top of the transmission.
If you have the glove box door, the inside of the door is usually a good place to start to see what color the truck may have been.
Your pickup could have been one of the following 1936 commercial colors
Black
Gunmetal Gray
Vineyard Green
Armory Green
Washington Blue
Cordoba Tan
Vermillion Red
other colors were available at an additional cost
While this may help you, I would suggest that you purchase the 1935-1936 Ford Book that the Club sells. While it will not cover commercial vehicles bodies, it will cover all chassis related information (engine, frame, axles, shocks, brakes) that pertains to your 1/2 ton pickup. It also has color chips for you to look at. You can order it from this web site -- Online Store.

Good luck with your research.

oldfordslee    -- 12-20-2017 @ 11:25 PM
  Thank you so much !

oldfordslee    -- 12-20-2017 @ 11:26 PM
  Thank you so much everyone, such great info and help here, I know there is not much info to be found on early ford truck but so much appreciate it here. Cheers!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=11497