Topic: 47 Pickup brake drums

47fordsd    -- 08-18-2017 @ 11:42 AM
  I have 47 pickup with all four brake drums that have the brake shoes exposed when assembled. I have not seen this before, my history is with Model A and AA trucks, is this stock or ???? Also the steering column and the attached starting and lock out is damaged. Is there a manual or book that hows how the original was assembled and hoe the column was mounted to the ddash
Thanks
Dave

CharlieStephens    -- 08-18-2017 @ 5:17 PM
  A picture would be nice. I am not sure what you are talking about.

Charlie Stephens

47fordsd    -- 08-21-2017 @ 10:56 AM
  here are photos of the drums, all four are in the same shape, and the steering column that has been welded to a upport beam I would like details of how the column was stock and are the drums correct?
My email is in the profile, hopefully the pics came through

Thanks
Dave

mhsprecher    -- 08-24-2017 @ 6:39 PM
  Nice photo of the cat sleeping. I am not sure what that has to do with your car unless the engine purrs.

47fordsd    -- 08-25-2017 @ 10:39 AM
  drum picture all four of mine are like this is the exposure on the drum correct?

47fordsd    -- 08-25-2017 @ 10:40 AM
  drum picture all four of mine are like this is the exposure on the drum correct?

cliftford    -- 08-25-2017 @ 11:44 AM
  It appears that you have the wrong drums. They should go all the way back to the backing plates. The shoes should not be visible.

CharlieStephens    -- 08-26-2017 @ 3:35 PM
  I am used to passenger car rear ends so there may be some truck unique stuff causing the problem. Lacking that is is possible someone rebuilt the rear end with the wrong parts (axles too long) and gave up when they tried too put the brake drums on? I would expect to see a little bit of the axle peaking out beyond the end on the hub, any chance the hubs are not seating? Please keep us posted!

Charlie Stephens

CharlieStephens    -- 08-26-2017 @ 4:15 PM
  When I read clifford's comment about it being the wrong drums my thought was the the drums looked right so I went back for a second look. New theory. Some mechanic turned the drums so far oversize that the contact surface for the brake shoe just fell off. Next they installed the the drums and hubs to the axle so they wouldn't get lost and the bearings would be protected (good idea). That is where you took over the project. Compare my drum in the attached picture to yours and you will see what I mean. Remember to have the drums removed from the hubs that you have a shop that is experienced in doing it or you will warp the hubs which are probably useable. Out of curiosity, if there is some of the brake shoe surface left can you tell how far oversize it was before the breaking surface came off?

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 8-26-17 @ 5:34 PM

cliftford    -- 08-26-2017 @ 5:33 PM
  Charlie, after looking at both drums, your theory makes sense, but all four wheels? My guess is that someone robbed the good drums off this truck and put these junk ones on just to hold things together. This just about tops the list of weird things I have seen on old fords.

CharlieStephens    -- 08-26-2017 @ 6:11 PM
  Maybe someone turned all the drums out the same amount to make sure the brakes worked evenly. The problem didn't show up until the first time they applied the brakes. If only brake drums could talk.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 8-26-17 @ 6:12 PM

cliftford    -- 08-26-2017 @ 6:36 PM
  This much we know: whoever turned them didn't know diddly about brakes.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=11104