Topic: Newby questions

Jeepbut    -- 07-09-2017 @ 2:15 PM
  47 truck. Sat in shop for 25 years untouched. Engine stuck. Using acetone and trans fluid. Pulled intake and it looked like antifreeze had been in the valley pan under intake. Pulled drain plug on oil pan and out came antifreeze and then oil. Pulled heads and no antifreeze has been in the cylinders. Could the intake gasket have gone bad and let antifreeze into valley pan and on down to oil pan? I am starting the process of pulling oil pan now. Next question-how do I get the starter off? It looks like two long bolts go all the way threw the starter to remove it. Is this correct? Thanks to the members of The Early Ford V/8 club. I would have never got this far without you.

cliftford    -- 07-09-2017 @ 2:32 PM
  Yes, the 2 long bolts hold the starter. Considering the info. you've given. I would say the engine needs to be taken apart and checked for damage. I would almost bet that 1 or more pistons are stuck

Jeepbut    -- 07-09-2017 @ 5:20 PM
  It appears that no antifreeze has ever been in any cylinder. That's why I wondered if it is possible the intake gasket let the antifreeze into the valley pan and to the oil pan.

cliftford    -- 07-09-2017 @ 8:22 PM
  There is no coolant flowing through the intake manifold that I know of. I would look for a crack between water jacket and valley area.

TomO    -- 07-10-2017 @ 8:46 AM
  I agree with Clifford.

To do a quick check for a crack, put the heads back on, fill the radiator with water and pressurize the system with 10 lbs. of pressure. Look for seepage around the valves and cylinders. This will find the large cracks.

To do a thorough check, have the block magnafluxed by a machine shop familiar with flatheads and is familiar with stitching a crack. Do NOT accept a weld as a fix, it will leak again and may introduce additional cracks.

Tom

Jeepbut    -- 07-10-2017 @ 6:54 PM
  On closer inspection it looks like the antifreeze went threw the back most cylinder on the drivers side. Another mystery to me-there are two smaller holes about in the middle of the intake that were blocked off with little, thin metal plates-any theory as to why this was done?

carcrazy    -- 07-10-2017 @ 7:29 PM
  Those two small holes in the middle of the intake manifold are for the exhaust cross-over passage which allows exhaust gas to flow into a chamber under the center of the carburetor to heat the air/fuel mixture for better fuel vaporization when the engine and ambient air temperatures are cold. Many people blocked off those passages to reduce the amount of heat in the engine.

Jeepbut    -- 07-10-2017 @ 7:37 PM
  Thanks Carcrazy. This might be a good idea in deep south Texas.

migger45    -- 07-12-2017 @ 8:27 PM
  Just heard of about those small holes in the intake, interesting!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=10955