Topic: New purchase

Maxthedog1    -- 04-29-2017 @ 4:47 PM
  I recently purchased a '50 F-1 with the 239 V8. I don't have any experience with such a vehicle, so am trying to learn.

The owners manual mentions lubricating the generator, distributor and water pumps with a few drops of motor oil - is that still the proper procedure? And on my water pumps, there is not a little cup to put the oil in, but rather a rectangular opening. Why does this differ from the description in the owners manual?

The previous owner installed a steering wheel from (I believe) a 1948 Ford car. But it is not on straight. I need some help in figuring out how to remove and reposition it.

Finally, the steering is quite loose. I understand that it can possibly be tightened up, per instructions in the owners manual. It says that a lock nut should be removed, but the diagram included does not identify it. I presume it is the nut on the engine side of the steering box?

I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Maxthedog1    -- 04-30-2017 @ 5:49 PM
  I did get the steering wheel repositioned today, but still looking for advice on the other two questions. Thanks.

TomO    -- 05-01-2017 @ 7:39 AM
  The generator and distributor should be oiled every oil change. The water pumps do not require oiling.

Loose steering is usually caused by worn parts, like tie rod ends, drag link ends and king pins. The way that I check for them is to jack up one front wheel and try to wiggle it fron left to right of the car. You should not have any movement, if you do, look to see where the movement is to determine which parts are worn.

Do the same with the top and bottom to check for king pin wear. This test should be done on both front wheels.

Once you have determined that these parts are all good and you still have excessive play, come back here for an adjustment procedure of the worm and sector. This adjustment seldom fixes loose steering, because when it become necessary, the gears in the box are worn enough to be replaced.

The steering on these older vehicles is not as precise as the steering on your modern car with rack and pinion steering. Steering wheel play is determined by turning the wheel slowly from the center position while observing when the tires start to move and then doining it in the opposite direction. Play is the sum of the 2 steering wheel movements.

Tom

Maxthedog1    -- 05-22-2017 @ 6:23 PM
  Thanks for your help. I tested both front wheels as you suggested, and they are in good shape as to wobble in the wheel. So I would appreciate your additional input as to how to adjust the steering gear to take some of the play out of the steering. Thank you again.

51f1    -- 05-26-2017 @ 3:24 PM
  Sounds like you need a Ford shop manual for 49-52 trucks. Reproductions are available from the usual old Ford parts suppliers.

I have attached a page from the repair manual that covers adjusting the steering gear. My experience has been that the looseness in the steering doesn't usually occur in the steering gear, but that's just my experience. There is a lot more looseness in the old steering when its new than what we are used to with modern cars and trucks.

Richard

TomO    -- 05-27-2017 @ 6:54 AM
  Thanks for posting the instructions, Richard. I agree that loose steering usually has other causes and that if you have to adjust the gear, you probably have excess wear in the steering box and it should be rebuilt.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=10720