Topic: 47 truck inspection plate?

Jeepbut    -- 01-27-2017 @ 2:39 PM
  First off, my first early Ford V/8. 47 pickup-engine stuck from 20 year barn storage. I have been soaking it. I need to get to flywheel to pry on it. I took out some 5/16 bolts, but still seems tight. Do I need to take the bottom half of transmission bolts out to get the inspection cover off? I am lost. What am I missing?

alanwoodieman    -- 01-27-2017 @ 3:57 PM
  really depends on if you have the two piece oil pan or not. most 59ab engines do not have a panel to remove for access to flywheel--you have to remove the oil pan in one piece. but before you go to this trouble what are you using to soak the engine with? best soaking solution is a 50/50 mixture of acetone and ATF, put down the spark plug hole and let soak for a week at least, put truck in gear and with all spark plugs out--rock the truck back and forth and watch for movement of the lower pulley--might have to have some help to do this and continue to soak and rock until it come loose--it may never but most I have done this to do. Good Luck and welcome to flatheads

Jeepbut    -- 01-27-2017 @ 4:16 PM
  Sounds like I need to put the bolts back in and try the rocking method. I have used atf and acetone. Thank you.

This message was edited by Jeepbut on 1-27-17 @ 4:17 PM

39 Ken    -- 01-28-2017 @ 3:53 AM
  Depending on the conditions that the truck was stored in, you may have more than stuck pistons to deal with. Many times, the lifters are stuck and aggressive force to "unstick" the motor will result in damage to the cam or valve train. I would remove the intake manifold to examine the lifter and valve stem condition. Use the ATF/Acetone on those parts to help loosen them. If it is still stuck after soaking all these parts, I would pull the engine.

Jeepbut    -- 01-28-2017 @ 4:07 AM
  Nothing was oiled. He just drove it into the shop and turned it off 20 years ago. Fully enclosed metal building so no exposure to the elements. Should I try gently rocking it and see if it breaks loose easily? If it breaks loose easily, then should I try and turn it by jacking up a rear tire and turning it over and over. Or should I remove intake and soak first?

cliftford    -- 01-28-2017 @ 8:58 AM
  Soak it first as suggested for a week or more. After 20 years. the rings and pistons will be dry ,oil will have drained off. Keep in mind that when you forcibly turn the crankshaft, you run the risk of bending a rod. Persistance and patience are the key words.

Jeepbut    -- 01-28-2017 @ 9:47 AM
  Good call 39 Ken. Rocked it a little and no luck. I pulled intake and what a mess-flaky rust specs-goop etc. Glad I pulled it so it can be soaked along with the pistons. And by the way, whats up with that intake-I have taken tracks off a bulldozer that had less bolts!

miklejaksone    -- 02-04-2017 @ 11:16 AM
  HT950
Drive
Heavy Duty

Features and Benefits
Super Wide and Extremely wear-resistant
Best used at lower speeds for short-haul within 125 miles, and for heavily loaded dump trucks.
Special tread compound has high wear-resistant and is suitable for mining applications and construction sites.
Aggressive block pattern design provides excellent grip and traction performance

REQUEST A QUOTE
Available sizeRelation
11.00R20 12.00R20
https://www.huntertires.com/

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=10453