Topic: Carburation

johnmyron    -- 01-23-2017 @ 4:06 PM
  I have a new repro Dennis Carpenter Carb on my 48 F1 in process of restoration. Runs great, but, like my 53 Sunliner, seems overly rich. Requires little choking once started cold, etc. Exhaust always smells like poor combustion. I have taken the float level down to where it wont run at all, and slowly back up until it will. Seems like maybe the main jets are too big? Any carp experts out there can shed some light on this?
Thanks,
John Wells

ken ct.    -- 01-23-2017 @ 5:07 PM
  What # are the jets in it.Normally # .051 are in them. I find .050 or .049 seem to work better. Also what hole is the AP link to the throttle arm is it in?? Try idle mix screws out approx. 7/8 to 1 turn out from gently closed position. I set float @ 1 7/16". OMO. ken ct. Middle hole is normal for the link. email,pm or cell 1-203-260-9780

TomO    -- 01-24-2017 @ 7:17 AM
  Have you checked your spark plugs for carbon build up? A black, sooty coating indicates a rich mixture or incomplete combustion and will prevent getting a good spark.

You should also check your spark for the correct intensity as a weak spark can also cause incomplete combustion.

Tom

ken ct.    -- 01-24-2017 @ 8:30 AM
  As someone else said could be your power valve is leaking or its too high a # . 5.5 ones go into all my rebuilds. Most new carbs and rebuilds use a 7.5 which open too quick and tend to flood out the engine (too much gas all at once). ken ct.

johnmyron    -- 01-24-2017 @ 4:23 PM
  I can run the idle jets in and kill it. Have them adjusted in the normal fashion, but still stinks. Does the power valve function even at idle?
Thanks for all your info

ken ct.    -- 01-24-2017 @ 5:28 PM
  It will dump fuel into the manifold and end up in the pan if the gasket is leaking or the rubber diaphragm in it is ruptured. Good possibility especially if a backfire through the carb occured , only takes once for it to happen. ken ct. Smell your dipstick for a gas smell. ken ct.

TomO    -- 01-25-2017 @ 10:08 AM
  If your carburetor is running rich, call Dennis Carpenter and discuss it with their technician. Disassembling and changing parts will void the warranty.

You cannot go by the smell, these old Fords exhaust is pretty stinky. Start with clean spark plugs. Check your spark plugs after driving the car for 20 - 30 minutes at highway speeds, and then stopping the engine without idling. If they have a black sooty deposit you have incomplete combustion that could be caused by the carburetor. Poor ignition can also cause incomplete combustion.

If your power valve is leaking, that should be covered under the warranty.

Tom

51f1    -- 02-10-2017 @ 4:35 PM
  Could be smelling like it should. I read somewhere that Ford flatheads ran rich to help prevent overheating.

Richard

ken ct.    -- 02-10-2017 @ 5:57 PM
  Sounds like hes already voided the warentee already by removing the top to adjust float several times according to OP. SEEING THAT I would try .049 main jets an CHECK POWER VALVE. try a5.5 one with a good gasket.Like a nylon one or a lead one. ken ct. And assuming hes using the same gaskets to reinstall top,gaskets take an impression and will never properly seal again. ken ct. omo.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=10436